Hitch Idea

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Mark,
There are some other interesting hitches on the sites listed on this web page, http://www.singlewheel.com/Today/TodayFR.htm. Some I know are familiar to us. Others are really out there, like a draw bar that comes up and pivots off the top of the rear frame somewhere at or above the wheel, like a pick up truck 5th wheel. It's a Netherlands company claiming they're good at Autobahn speeds !

Conceptually, I think the design can be viewed as the hitch at the end a cantilevered structure so the attachment to the bike would be better if frame mounted. We know that solid attachment points, large bearing/clamping surfaces, and triangulation make for a more rigid structure. Now just how to do that without putting a wide flange beam through the middle of the wheel is the task.

I kind of like the approach of letting the bike's suspension work on the entire bike/rider/trailer.

I'll monitor your progress and you can always PM or call if you need someone to talk through ideas.

Jim

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
My need for a different hitch may be moot. I am @ OzarkSToc and the trip down was great as far as the trailer and it's demeanor are concerned. I checked out the wheel prior to leaving and found it needed to be snugged up one notch on the crown nut. i also adjusted the angle of the arm to a more acute angle relative to the road. I had big side wind again for some time and I did not have the yaw (twist ? ) that I had last weekend.

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My need for a different hitch may be moot. I am @ OzarkSToc and the trip down was great as far as the trailer and it's demeanor are concerned. I checked out the wheel prior to leaving and found it needed to be snugged up one notch on the crown nut. i also adjusted the angle of the arm to a more acute angle relative to the road. I had big side wind again for some time and I did not have the yaw (twist ? ) that I had last weekend.
Can we get an "Amen" that you found and eliminated some of the slack in the system. Sounds like you are keeping the trailer in proper tow with the gusty winds we've been having. I lost about 9 mpg on the way home from Pardeeville (Thank goodness for the heated jacket and gloves - 38 F, 25-30 mph winds @ Wausau). Ride Safe. Jim

Top Bottom