Home made Magnetic Heat Controller Mount

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
When I first got the Gerbing gear and heat controller I purchased a holder for the controller that had a clip on it. Presumably enabling it to be clipped to ??????? I didn't have any place to clip it to that was easily accessible to the control knobs. I had in mind what I wanted, I just didn't have the materials to do it......or did I? I replaced my water pump on my truck and used my handy parts tray with magnetic base. It has a strong magnet and soft cover over the magnet so one could attach it to a metal surface and not scratch the paint. Ah ha!!!!

It took me 2 tries to perfect. The first one I removed the magnet from the tray and dropped the magnet. It shattered on impact. But it wasn't a total loss, I needed the soft rubber cover. The second magnet and cover was removed from the tray (can't pry it from the tray, just fold the tray in half and it can be pulled off easily then). I took the original cover and trimmed it to fit the exposed side of the magnet on the 2nd tray. I glued it in place with RTV and let it sit over night. Then I attached velcro the controller and the magnet. Hot dog!!!!!, a completely portable and easily accessible heat controller.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/20157.oap?ck=Search_parts+tray_-1_-1&keyword=parts+tray

Total cost was about $20.

Here's the rest of the story:

Top Bottom