Honda 919 and Triumph Street Triple

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I'm looking for a second bike and both of these bikes strike me as good looking and quick. I know the 919 isn't made for the US anymore and the Street Triple only has a 675cc engine. I'm looking for something light, pretty sporty, fun, easy to toss around, and mostly naked. I went to the triumph dealership to test ride a Street Triple (little brother of the Speed Triple) and they didn't have any because they sell like fresh Krispy Kreams. The local Honda dealership won't allow test rides.

So, since I apparently can't test ride either bike and I like the feel of both of them under me, does anyone have experience with either bike that could give me a review of it? They're both in the $8k range new.

I realize it's a bit unfair to compare a 919cc vs a 675cc engine, but I'm already leaning toward the Triumph based on looks, color options (love the lime green :D), and the fact it's still being made.

Anyone know a dealership near me where I can actually test ride one of the two?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I had a 919. Frankly, I wasn't all that thrilled with it. Compared to an ST it's light, but it doesn't feel all that light compared to a lot of other sporty bikes I've ridden. Nor was the engine particularly highly tuned. Certainly more torque than the 675, but maybe not more horsepower. Based on the reviews I've read, I suspect the Triumph is more fun, if you're looking for a sporty bike.

You might also look at the Suzuki SV 650.

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
looked at it and it didn't tickle my fancy. but thanks for the review of the 919 bob; it certainly added a brick to the pile of reasons why i'm liking the street triple.

the biggest being "looks"

Bike
07 ST1300A
Maybe you could find a good deal on an older 919. I liked the green on this one. I had an 03 VTX1800C, so I'm a little partial to the green. :D Sounds like either bike would be a blast. Not sure about parts and service on the Triple though.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I too absolutely love the Street Triple, and no, finding a dealer that has one for a test ride is a tall order. Heck, finding a dealer that has one on the floor long enough to get a good look at it is a challenge.

However, there are options for ya:

The Triumph Truck will be in your neck'o'the woods fairly soon:

July 25-27, 2008
AMA VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE DAYS, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH

July 31 - August 3, 2008
Martin Motorsports , 1037 Unger Lane, Boyertown, PA
Tel: 610-369-3120

And yes, from out here in the Wide, Wide West, anything only one state over there Back East is "nearby." :D

If you can wait that long....

Personally, I'm dreading the day the Street Triple comes out in Caspian Blue, 'cause I may not be able to resist, regardless of the fiscal stress!

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
There's a slight chance I could be ready for one once the '09's hit the floor. I start fire academy in September, at which point my income will more than double, thus giving me quite a margin of room to have some disposable income. As long as the wife will let me...

Bike
St1300
I had a 919 and really liked the bike. Not perfect at anything but solid. Very little service needed. I got rid of it for a 2003 Vrod only for the look. Look into servicing costs on the triple.

OP
OP
juddspaintballs

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
Interesting. My local Aprilia dealer has a couple in stock too.

I think I still like the Triumph a little better, but that is certainly on my watch list now.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Jed, before you make your final decision, I suggest you check with your insurance company on rates. It could affect your decision. Just a thought.....

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Owned this 919 for a year and a half:

and have ridden the S3 extensively. If I was going to get naked again, I'd opt for the Triple. They are both bulletproof, but the Triple just has that extra grunt. A little snarl. The devil in the details that gives it more personality than the 919. Both fine bikes. You can't go wrong with either. But the Triple does a better job personifying the naked streetfighter class.

I agree with Ken. The Triumph's got soul! I have a 919, also. Fun, but not exceptional at anything. If you can get a mint used one for under $4,000.00, I might consider it. Only 'cause I'm a Honda fan in general. They both have cheap suspension which cancel each other in that catagory, so you might want to weigh other aspects of the comparison to make your choice. I'm not a big fan of I4 motors, though. I've heard the triples are very cool.

Last edited:
STOC #
MCN just compared the Triumph to the Aprilia. They liked the Aprilia more. To quote...

"While we had some mixed feelings about the Shiver's high-fashion styling, the bike has a lot to like: a smooth, torquey engine that runs beautifully, superb brakes, excellent detailing, better suspension and a vastly superior ride, and therefore handing on less than perfect roads that the Street Triple could only envy.

But if Triumph would only give its naked 675 the Daytona's good suspension, we'd love to arrange a rematch!"

G

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Good catch, Mean. I didn't read the OP's post carefully enough. My saddle time was on a Speed Triple, not the Street Triple. Entirely different animal. MCN really panned the Street Triple's cheap suspension. If it's the Street Triple versus the 919, the 919 wins hands down IMO.

I sold a 04' 919 and I wish I had not. With a Power Commander, good exhaust, and the appropriate set up, it's a reliable and fast bike for the money. I have seen new 919s for as cheap as $6400. That's less than I paid for mine in 04. It is a basic bike that can do anything except keep up with liter bikes. It is much faster than the ST. Front end sucks, but you can replace the springs. The new 1000cc naked Hornet sold in the UK looks really good (see Bike mag). Sadly, Honda decided that we in the US are not worthy of it, nor are we worthy of many other nice Hondas (e.g., Transalp, Varadero, DN-01, etc.). Big American butts need big bikes, I guess.

STOC #
It doesn't help that "919" is a stupid easy and unique search.

G

P.S. Since you just married, you better hurry before she takes over and stops you! :D

Top Bottom