Honda parts pricing-----parts starting to go " no longer available" ?

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Just for giggles, I looked up pricing on the electric windshield adjuster assy on the MRCycles website. ( I have no affiliation with them, just used them for years ) reg price $662.96........... on sale $474.02. Now that didn't seem too bad and most of the parts seem to be on sale. I'm wondering if Honda is starting to phase out stocking of these parts. It has been 20 years since the 13 was introduced.

Just thinking out loud.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm wondering if Honda is starting to phase out stocking of these parts. It has been 20 years since the 13 was introduced.
You are right about when the ST1300 was introduced, but it has been 5 or 6 years since the model was discontinued (the P bike). I would not expect a complete shutdown of parts from Honda for some years.

I've heard that mfrs have to make parts available for 7 to 10 years (depends who is talking) after a product is discontinued. I don't know if this is law or simply (polite) convention.

Hey guys, I've been an automotive parts counterman and manager for 30 years. There is no law concerning the number of years manufacturers must produce parts for motor vehicles. I learned that the hard way when GM discontinued parts for 4-5 year old cars. Those customers were not happy!

That being said, I've found Honda to be the best at keeping old parts available.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There is no law concerning the number of years manufacturers must produce parts for motor vehicles.
Yes, and no.

It is my understanding that, excluding the intricacies of the types of warranties and the level of responsibility under each, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in the US introduced requirements that parts must be available to repair a vehicle for the duration of the warranty period offered by the manufacturer, or the manufacturer must provide a free-of-charge replacement of the vehicle if they can not repair it while it is under warranty, even if the reason is due to no parts being available any longer. This was to ensure that warranties offered by manufacturers had value, nothing to do with parts supply per se. Most manufacturers will choose to keep parts available at least until the warranty period of the last model year has expired rather than get in to replacing vehicles under warranty, so availability of parts was/is a consequence of the act as the length of vehicle warranties has continued to increase. However, since individual models seem to stay on the market for less and less time now, the effect is possibly less influential now.

It is noteworthy that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act did not mandate that warranties be offered or what there duration must be, only that the terms under which expressed warranties must operate to make sure that they had value and are fair to the consumer. I don't know what has changed with this act in the past 30 years.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
ADJUSTER ASSY., WINDSCREEN
64170-MCS-G01
Retail Price: $662.96
Your Price: $481.31

PARTS SEARCH RESULTS
ASSEMBLIES WHERE 64170-MCS-G00 IS USED
Honda dealerships normally stock parts for a 10 year period.
There are companies that go around to different dealerships, whether they are going out of business, or just cleaning out their inventory, and purchase all the left over parts that are 10 years old or older.
So it still may be possible to locate parts many years after they go off the listings.
Since these assemblies are still used in the 2018 model police bikes I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a new one for several years from now.
And just to point out, the motors never go bad, its just the gear and/or cables that get stripped and damaged.
This can be avoided by NEVER moving your shield up or down while your riding down the freeway at speed etc. :doh1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is my understanding that, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in the US introduced requirements that parts must be available to repair a vehicle for the duration of the warranty period...
Warranties are often pretty short and other than @tosaw's comment about GM not having parts available for a 4 year old car (wonder what the warranty was on that) I think everyone expects parts to be available beyond the warranty. There is, however always a way out for the mfr. Look at Motus and maybe Buell. Beyond the company going up in smoke, suing a car or bike mfr for parts is probably a tad expensive, unless you could get a class action attorney involved. In that case, you might win something on the order of 78¢ and the lawyers would be paid $450 an hour.....

Hmmmm...Lifetime warranties???????????

There are companies that go around to different dealerships, whether they are going out of business, or just cleaning out their inventory, and purchase all the left over parts that are 10 years old or older.
So it still may be possible to locate parts many years after they go off the listings.
This can be avoided by NEVER moving your shield up or down while your riding down the freeway at speed etc.
I'd expect said salvage companies to raise the prices a tad.

Failure of the windscreen mechanism can be avoided by NEVER moving your shield up or down. :rofl1: I bet @Uncle Phil has never had this particular problem.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Regarding hard to find parts...... all the older VFR guys know this.... North American supply might dry up, so go to Europe......
Consolidated Motorcycle Spares in the Netherlands will often have that "can't get here" part.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Warranties are often pretty short ......
In the case of vehicles, warranties are generally longer than they have ever been. In some cases manufacturers are offering 10 year warranties on power/drive train. Parts for major systems would remain available for 10 years from the last model year that that vehicle was offered for sale.

No matter how long that is, it is of no use if the part that you need is not available when you need it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In the case of vehicles, warranties are generally longer than they have ever been. In some cases manufacturers are offering 10 year warranties on power/drive train.
I wonder if the MMW act wants the mfr to make available ALL parts or just the warranted parts. In your example above, quarter panels, headlight assemblies, and wiper motors might be cut off long before the power train warranty goes pffffft. (I'm ignoring aftermarket sources for body pars and interchangeability between models.

I've always said the best warranty is the one you don't use.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I wonder if the MMW act wants the mfr to make available ALL parts or just the warranted parts. In your example above, quarter panels, headlight assemblies, and wiper motors might be cut off long before the power train warranty goes pffffft. (I'm ignoring aftermarket sources for body pars and interchangeability between models.

I've always said the best warranty is the one you don't use.
Something that I wondered about years ago as well, but only for a fleeting moment.

Whether the requirement extends to all of the parts on a given vehicle or only those parts that are required to service the systems that remain under warranty is something that I have no idea about. We were never given that level of detail in our training sessions, and it would probably require a lawyer to figure out the legal ease anyway.

Top Bottom