Honda RDS Radio - some help if you can please

Bike
2004 ST1300 A2
Hi all,
Have my bike in bits for a refurb at present. I had the Honda RDS radio fitted by the dealer when they supplied the bike new to me in March 2004. And I love both the bike and the audio which plays through either speakers or helmets via an Autocom Pro system. However, I now know not too many bikes were fitted with the radio due to its high cost, and its non-availability in the U.S. I've trawled through the various posts, articles and threads on radios on the site, but apart from one guy having the control head replaced under warranty, I can't find anyone else solving the condensation issue in the control head of this unit.
1 Does anyone have a pdf copy of the radio install manual and operator manual they could let me have via e-mail? - I was never given them and the dealership I bought from no longer exists.
2 How do you remove the plastic cover at the top of the radio in the fairing pocket? I've removed the pocket from the fairing, undone all screws on the pocket, but cannot get the top cover over the radio head to release.
3 Has anyone ever taken the control head (i.e. the one mounted on the bars) apart? If so, could you provide me with details of how you separated the two halves, as the control button back plates appear to be stuck to the two casing halves. I have had an occasional internal condensation issue in the control head which now appears to have caused failure of the backlighting LEDS which makes night time operation a little difficult. I'd like to track down the source of moisture ingress, solve it and replace the LEDs.
Many thanks in advance.
Ian Bowen

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
To get to the radio, you will need to remove the left side fairing, and take out the fairing pocket entirely. The plastic cover you see below the fairing pocket lid, is actually just a rubber mat glued to a metal cover. THe radio is mounted underneath. So you need to remove this metal cover before you can get to the radio unit.

Taking apart the control unit is easy, just 4 or 5 screws from the bottom. I have a copy of the repair manual of the control unit and the radio itself. There is an exploded view of the control unit which will show you how to dismantle it.

Give me a PM and I can e-mail you the repair manuals.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I too have installation and service manual for that Pioneer stereo around if required.

... transmitted from a CAT S60 thing ...

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 A2
Hi there, many thanks for the response. If you have the info on dismantling the bar mountrd control head in particular, I’d really be grateful to have a copy. Sent you a pm with my private e-mail address if you can send it.
In advance, many thanks.

Bike
ST1300
Hello guys,
I bought my ST1300 witch is equipped with Honda RDS Radio and I need some help to understand the setup:

-my machine does not have installed speakers, to install new speakers I need to buy some kind of amplifier or the Honda RDS Radio have outputs also for external speakers? (I guess that now the signal is redirected to the wired intercom but unfortunately I did not received any manual from the dealer)
-may I ask you to provide me the service manual?

Many thanks,
JohnG

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
If it might help, i have a never used set of stock speakers, the boxes, and wire loom i could sell.
Hello guys,
I bought my ST1300 witch is equipped with Honda RDS Radio and I need some help to understand the setup:

-my machine does not have installed speakers, to install new speakers I need to buy some kind of amplifier or the Honda RDS Radio have outputs also for external speakers? (I guess that now the signal is redirected to the wired intercom but unfortunately I did not received any manual from the dealer)
-may I ask you to provide me the service manual?

Many thanks,
JohnG

Top Bottom