Hot Bike - the results are in

Hi Guys

I posted in another thread that I intended to go out for a half-day's ride and then measure the temperature at relevant points on the bike.

Here are the results:-

Ambient Temp - 25 degrees C

Base of Tank (by groin) - 37 deg.

Aluminum Frames by front footpeg (right) - 44 deg.

Ditto (left) - 41 deg.

Inside both front plastic pockets - 44 deg.

Mufflers - 91 deg.

BTW all temperatures measured using a special metal gauge for plumbing and other purposes.

Hope the above is of interest. To put the temperatures into context, here in the UK the minimum recommended temperature to set the thermostat on the domestic hot water cylinder is 55 degrees.

I noticed that the left and right sides of the bike have different shape/size rubber heat shields because of the rear shock/battery, which might explain the temperature difference.

Paul

Bike
VStrom 650
I would say the bike was doing a pretty good job of getting rid of the heat build up by your readings.
But Paul, we don't need to know your groin temperature :woohoo:.
Upt'North.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Hi Guys

I posted in another thread that I intended to go out for a half-day's ride and then measure the temperature at relevant points on the bike.

Here are the results:-

Ambient Temp - 25 degrees C

Base of Tank (by groin) - 37 deg.

Aluminum Frames by front footpeg (right) - 44 deg.

Ditto (left) - 41 deg.

Inside both front plastic pockets - 44 deg.

Mufflers - 91 deg.

BTW all temperatures measured using a special metal gauge for plumbing and other purposes.

Hope the above is of interest. To put the temperatures into context, here in the UK the minimum recommended temperature to set the thermostat on the domestic hot water cylinder is 55 degrees.

I noticed that the left and right sides of the bike have different shape/size rubber heat shields because of the rear shock/battery, which might explain the temperature difference.

Paul
Thanks for the temp read outs.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks for those, I was thinking of doing the same thing, it's good to have something to compare them to.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
37 degrees by the groin... so, slightly cooler than average core temp. Those of us that prefer bikes to kids need to remember that sperm production doesn't happen at 37C.

So, the important conclusion from this research, is that the 13's are an obvious contraception aid! :biggrin:

Bike
VStrom 650
37 degrees by the groin... so, slightly cooler than average core temp. Those of us that prefer bikes to kids need to remember that sperm production doesn't happen at 37C.
So, the important conclusion from this research, is that the 13's are an obvious contraception aid! :biggrin:
Is that because if you've got one you're never likely to be at home.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom