Hot Plastic

Bike
1991 ST1100
Hope this is the right place for this.
Picked up a 1991 today with only 22k miles on it and the plastic looks as if though it has gotten hot from the exhaust.
It is bubbling, I looked at the inside of the plastic by the exhaust and there is no heat protection.
Has anyone put heat tape or something in there to help this problem?
Other than that the bike is in great shape, will flush all fluids and go.

Thanks

STOC #
Get some of this stuff in 1/8" thickness. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/fiberfrax.php?clickkey=208805
Use contact cement to glue it on the inside of anyplace you want to protect from heat transfer. Seal the edges with silicone caulking and spray paint silver a couple thick coats to keep moisture out. I applied this to the inside of a fibreglas aircraft cowling that had bubbled paint. We refurbished the whole plane and the owner wanted to save his new paint from bubbling again. He told me he would land the plane and now you can put your hand on the outside of the cowl, near the exhaust, and it was now cool to the touch. I tried a sample by laying some on my hand and applying a propane torch flame to the fabric. My hand got a little warm but not hot. The fabric turned a light brown color but did not deteriorate. It is made from washed ceramic fibers.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Weird, actually really weird.

I have not heard of this observation/complaint from any other ST1100 owner.
I live, ride and have ridden literally over 150,000 miles on ST1100s using Tempe/Phoenix as my starting point as well as my daily commuting area...
I don't know if insulation will *fix* whatever problem is present on your '91...

Please post some pictures.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
There should be metal heat shields that are bolted to the headers on each side. Mine is a 1999 with 72k miles and the shields were starting to crack in places. Part numbers 5 and 14 in the fiche.

2200.png

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
It is a common occurrence. Seen quite a few of the fairing lowers blistered(lower grey panels). Especially on the right side. Don't know why some do, and some don't. My '96 is currently blistered on the right side. My '93 never did. Fred's '97 did it too. If it bothers you, get a good used one from e-bay and put some aluminum heat tape on the inside before re-install.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
Unfortunately it is blistered up on the painted plastic just under the opening for the motor too, all on the left side. I will keep an eye on e-bay for replacement panels.

Top Bottom