How do you tie-down an ST1300 when trailering?

Just got a '04 ST1300. Will need to trailer it. I have a 8x6 flat-bed utility trailer that I use for my BMW 1150RT. My question is, when looking at the bike, where/how do you tie-down the bike without damaging the paint, removing tupperware, etc.

Any ideas and/or photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

number9

I have only hauled my ST on a trailer once - the night I brought it home. There are those who feel that trailering an ST is blasphemy :eek: but I realize there may be times you need to do it. This is the way I do it.....

For the front, I like to use "soft-ties" on the lower triple clamp/fork area. A soft-tie is a strap about 12" long or so that has a loop sewn on each end - they are ment to be used where you wouldn't want a steel tie-down hook scratching up chrome, plastic and paint, or areas where using a hook is not possible. Looping the soft-tie around the lower triple/fork area is nice because is allows the tie-down to be used without rubbing on any bodywork. Of course, use one on each fork and go down to the front of the trailer. Just sinch them down snug - not tight.

Remove the wing covers and use the crash bars for anchor points. You can use the soft-ties or hooks on the end of the tie-downs, your choice. Run the tie-downs from the crash bars out to the sides of the trailer and a little forward if you can. Have someone sit or stand on the bike while you pull the tie-downs tight. When the person gets off the bike and the suspension tries to rebound (or raise the bike up) the tie-downs hold the bike rock solid.

Now, go back to the front tie-downs and tighten them on down. You shouldn't need to use any gorilla muscle on the fronts other than to just keep the bike from trying to roll backwards. This method is much better on your fork seals. Too often people torque the front straps down first and so hard that the forks are compressed to nearly being bottomed out.

ALSO - do yourself a favor and drill 1/2" holes in the trailer rails to attach the tie-down hooks to. As your bike moves around while going down the road the tie-downs can get slack in them on the side the bike leans to and the hooks can fall off the trailer rails. With the hooks ran through a 1/2" hole they cannot fall off. I have personally known a few people who lost their bike off the trailer going down the interstate like this. :puk1:

Attachments

Top Bottom