How I dropped her...

Bike
2010 ST1300
...3 times!

Stopped at the Highalnd Folk Museum in Newtonmore, Scotland. After a great visit and a lovely coffee (and sticky bun) we got back to the bike. I backed it out of the parking spot and the lady decides to jump on the back without so much as a nod - I'm surprised and off balance so down she goes - (the bike).

I've now asked her to tell me she's going to jump on. STOP IT!

Damage - right crash cover only marked - not colour coded yet; ego irrepairably damaged.

Lifted - solo no real problem but the gravel on the ground was troublesome.

Stopped in the garage and decided to re-locate the bike. I'm in a left side standing position and the bike went too far away from me to the right and again, down she went.

Good bit - now used to it so relax, prep the bike for lifting and then heave like crazy. Garage floor is fine finish and painted so it's smooth, flat and good to lift on.

A better lift again this time - getting so used to this now. Decided to use a velcro strap to lock the front brake on first - saves rollaways and works well. Velcro strip now resides permanently in the fairing pocket!

Damage - ego less damaged this time (no-one was watching); right side crash cover a bit more marked but still not visible from above and the colour coding is still intact.

New bike sidestand shifting dolly so I can shift the bike around the garage. It's a big garage but everyone needs stilll more room - yes?

I make sure the end wedges are fully down. I ride on and apply the front brake. Snatchy stop and the dolly rear wedge brake comes up so the back of the bike is now on a highly mobile platform - front dolly wedge still holding.

Back of the dolly and the bike with it, start to roll sideways to the left and down she goes yet again to the right.

Damage - can't see any more damage to the right side crash cover but the right side pannier lid bottom edge has a small scuff on it that will come out with some work; ego just fine this time.

Rocked the bike (I think this is what damaged the pannier lid) to release the dolly from under the rear wheel. Prep the bike and this time she comes up just fine.

I suppose life's like this - ups and downs. Glad there are more ups than downs but not foolish enough to think there won't be any more downs to come!

One more lesson learnt is to have the shifting dolly wedges down on a couple of pieces of thin rubber to stop them sliding.

Every day is a day at school!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
On some forums (fora?) three drops is a GOLD award.......

Ah well, live and learn......:rolleyes:

Avtrician

If it was in the garage, the doors closed and no-one saw it, then it never happened:D:D

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I guess it's best to get a years worth done in one day.
Hang in there, ego's are self-healing......:D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Any one that doesn't drop their bike is either A.) lying or b.) a poser that doesn't even know which lever is the brake and which is the clutch.

Now that's not nice to call us those names! :D

In 90,200+ miles I have yet to drop my '05 ST1300. :hat1:

I did come close once, but was able to lift it back up before the left tipover cover came in contact with the pavement. :weights1:

And someone knocking you off your bike (at any speed) does not count! :D

So yes, there are some of us that are not lying, and I know the differences between the brake and the clutch levers! :nanana1:

Top Bottom