How long between wheel bearing changes ?

Avtrician

My Kwaka ZZR1100 told me when it was time to replace the rear wheel bearings. I was riding with my son on the back at 110Ks per, when the bike started to slosh around a bit. Sort of like the tire was flat, but it wasnt. Made it home at a slow speed, (only had about 1 K to go). Put bike up on centre stand, and found the wheel bearings had collapsed.

Remember to remove any circlips before knocking the bearings out, it takes about 4 Hrs with a Dremel grinder to cut out the outer race......:(:(:(:( Its ok but, I did it at work in work time:D:D:D:D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Based on posts on this site, there is no standard mileage to change the bearings before failure.

Just check them on ever tire change. Some change them every other tire change and some every 50k miles and some have never had any issues at all.

So, it's a 'check' issue, just check them each time the wheel is off.

Bike
ST1300
For what it's worth, I have never changed wheel bearings on a bike purchased new. This includes up to 122,000 miles on a ST1100 ridden everywhere mostly 2 up. The other ST's (4) had around 75,000 miles.
Used bikes mostly required replacement.
When the bike is purchased new, remover the wheel, gently pry off the bearing seal. Wipe off the very small amount of grease and install a LOT of grease in the bearing.
Renew at about every 25,000 miles.
Bearings should be good for the life of the bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
At 35K I had the accident and they had to replace the front rim/bearings. Then the left front went out at about 55K and Byron and I replaced it. Then I had (not sure of the mileage) the two in the rear (the normal two) go out and I replaced those. I keep extras on hand and with the bike having 82K+ miles on it, I think that it is a good thing to do. Saves having to order them when you are doing a tire change and find a bad one! :eek:4:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
+1 on the above... I looked at my rear bearing awhile back at 12k. In all truth I felt that it was a little shy on grease. I have a new set which I grease packed the old way standing by... but still not needed at last tire change. BTW, usu ride two up also.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
John,

I just replaced bearings on my 01' ST11 with 65k. I would say that the ride is much smoother with the new bearings. Before I could feel in the pegs a vibration. This vibration is not noticable now.

I think I will change them out every 50k or so but the new ones are not OEM. I used All Ball Bearings for this time and maybe CBR bearings the next.

YMMV

Michael

Top Bottom