How much plastic to remove?

Strange question? I do not currently have an ST. I am considering a 1300. On my previous ST1100 I would check the valves without removing plastic except for the one plastic trim piece over the cam covers on each side. I showed this method at a few "Valvestoc" meetings at the house. We never had any valves that needed adjusting. I am wondering if a 1300 can also be checked without pulling all of the plastic that the manual probably calls for. I realize that an adjustment is a different matter.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No such luck, you have to remove both sides which means the lower and center parts as well.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I've also been wondering about this for a while regarding the 1100, keep forgetting to ask. Do those two maintainance covers get you the required access on an 1100?

OP
OP
I've also been wondering about this for a while regarding the 1100, keep forgetting to ask. Do those two maintainance covers get you the required access on an 1100?
Yes they do. It is a little difficult to R&R the rear spark plugs. The cam cover will come off and out through the opening and then the valves can be checked. I did not use timing marks. I fully opened one cylinders valve and checked the corresponding valve on the opposite cylinder, IE the cylinder on the same side. I believe that the cam(s) could removed also but you would want to mark the gears to get them back in time on reassembly and be sure to not turn the engine while you changed shims. I never had to change a shim on several 1100s that I checked. I sold mine at 80k miles and it never needed a shim changed. The same is true so far on GL1800s. For historical purposes I was involved in setting up the first rotating shim kit, I'm curious if it is still floating around. This was before Hot Cams started selling kits.

Top Bottom