How much total brake fluid does the ST1300 contain?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
How many bottles (total ounces) of brake fluid do I need to replace all the fluid? (Brake front and rear reservoirs, calipers, clutch reservoir, hoses.)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
IF your dealing with a completely clean, correctly functioning system, and there are no damaged parts, you can flush the system out with one quart.
HOWEVER, if your system is questionable, or you have no known records, get a couple quarts and flush everything out thoroughly, while you inspect everything.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I was guessing three bottles of the Pro Honda DOT 4 Brake Fluid 12 oz bottles … so good guess :)
Is it available in quarts? Any other brands suggested?

I removed my SMC due to rear brake drag. With SMC in hand, I pushed the plunger, and it did not spring back on it’s own. I disassembled and found the top seal just a bit ragged. Some fluid in the cavity was grey mud. All passages are clean in the body.

I plan to buy and install PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER. 45620-MCS-G04

2003 ST1300A 27K miles

SMC 1.pngSMC 2.pngSMC 3.pngSMC 4.pngSMC 5.png

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Don’t waste your money on a rebuild kit, because no matter how clean the bore looks, it’s the tiny return port in the screen cartridge that gets clogged.
These are not available, so replacing the entire unit is the only option.
Don’t waste money on Honda brake fluid either, as it sits on the shelf too long and is often dark brown upon opening the bottle.
Use any Dot 4 valvoline, prestone, beltway, supertech, etc.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
We should be able to do a regular flush and bleed with 3 pints with a little left over. That’s flushing at least two full reservoirs through each circuit. Of course your bike, depending on its condition, may need more.

Top Bottom