How To Ride A Motorcycle In Deep Snow - A Canadian Explains

Bike
2005 ST1300

A FortNine video from a few years ago.

Paddle tires? Zip-tie studs? We're not exactly sure how to ride a motorcycle in the snow. But we're going to find out.

With the stunning realization, "essentially I took a dangerous thing and made it faster." Hilarious stuff. And I've seen the Zip-tie trick before. A Canadian thing, eh.

A. Do you think Ryan Fortnine can talk any faster?

B. I noticed he is using both of his legs as outriggers. Ryan is 6'3" tall and probably has an inseam to match. This technique is not for all of us. While I'm not suggesting he try this on a ST, unless I buy a Honda Grom or one of those kids' off road bikes, I'm not going to try it either. On second thought, at my age, I'm not about to try it at all. Maybe on a fat tire bicycle....

Just like riding in sand. I hate riding in sand!

I will stick to this for riding in snow. Much more fun and a lot faster!

20190223_142237__1554394973_69.130.123.230.jpg

Yep, I marked “Riding a bike in the snow” off my bucket list, earlier this week. It’s not often that we get snow in Tennessee, so I had to try it. The surprising part was the fact that the little Yammi 125 ran so well in 13 degree weather. I spent about an hour, showcasing my stupidity and total disregard for personal safety, much to the delight of my neighbors.

I can now say “Been there, done that”. The snow is still on the ground, but I haven’t had the urge to try it again. Once was enough. I can’t recommend doing it with a ST. I’d suggest anything under 200 lbs with deep knobbies.

John

I noticed he is using both of his legs as outriggers. Ryan is 6'3" tall and probably has an inseam to match. This technique is not for all of us.
Not a practice that is advisable anyway if you ride a dirt bike in deep snow. If he keeps that up, he will find out the hard way, as many others have, that your foot/leg will eventually find some of the the fallen trees, tree stumps, immovable rocks, and other hard objects that are lurking unseen under that blanket of soft snow.

Wear dirt bike riding boots that offer more protection and keep your feet up on the pegs and as far out of harms way as they can be.

I drove my new 1976 KH100 the whole winter of 76,77. The roads in Nova Scotia are icy snow covered at the best of times here. I was 17 and fearless.

I drove my new 1976 KH100 the whole winter of 76,77. The roads in Nova Scotia are icy snow covered at the best of times here. I was 17 and fearless.
One's perspective tends to change when you hit 50, or 60, or 70....

How about this instead?... There's one I've seen in our area. Goes like stink.

Not much snow here anymore like in the old days. About 95% of the days this winter have been rideable, even on an ST1300.

When I first started riding, about 15 years ago, I thought the roads were “good enough” for me to ride to work after the first snow. It was a harrowing experience, losing both rear and front ends independently.
Fortunately, I didn’t crash, and after making it for half a mile one way, I rode it back home.

To this day I’ve no idea how a motorcycle can actually ride in snow.

Essentially I've just taken a dangerous thing... and made it faster.

I literally laughed out loud at that!

For those who want to ride a little slower, and don't care about the risks...

the-q-icycle-bike-saw-blade-tires-designboom-002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom