How to seat fork seal and guide bushing

Bike
'04 ST1300
I'm changing the front fork oil and replacing the seals while the shocks are apart.

What are your suggestions on the best way to reinstall the guide bushing and seal?

thanks,
Jillsogw

Bike
GL1800 2015
most using a 1-1\2 inch PVC tube.....I just put the old bushing on top of the new one...and tapped it down with piece of wood...worked good! the seal the same way...a small piece of wood shaved down to fit the in the fork....but using the old seal top and tapping it down worked too! ..just be careful not to go too far!...I went about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch too far....left it ...worked fine for me!

Byron

STOC #
I made an adjustable driver. I use another piece of ABS, about 18" to 2' long as the slide hammer to drive the seal.

Seal Driver Side View
2" Sch 40 ABS 4" long with 3" cuts

With all the ingenuity on display here:D, I'm almost ashamed to admit I spent a bunch of money on a driver from Race Tech. It worked great though!;)

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
I used Byron's tool idea, it worked great.

I was having trouble getting the guide bushing to start. I used some painters tape to clamp it on the fork. I used the too to get it started and then removed the tape. Then I seated the bushing, installed the backup ring and seal. I have the right side done to where I add the oil. It was getting late and I was starting to slow down and not think to clearly. I'll finish the right shock tomorrow, take some pics doing the left side and get it back together do I can go for a ride.

Byron

STOC #
I used Byron's tool idea, it worked great.

I was having trouble getting the guide bushing to start. I used some painters tape to clamp it on the fork. I used the too to get it started and then removed the tape. Then I seated the bushing, installed the backup ring and seal. I have the right side done to where I add the oil. It was getting late and I was starting to slow down and not think to clearly. I'll finish the right shock tomorrow, take some pics doing the left side and get it back together do I can go for a ride.
Good to stop before the mind goes to far off track. Getting the folk together and finding parts like the backup ring still sitting there will cost you more time and energy. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Top Bottom