Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Thanks for the links. I too am a flashaholic. I always carry a small flashlight in my pocket. I use the 100 lumen 3aaa light that you can get in a three pack at Home Depot. They last 6 hours. When a flashlight goes dim it is easier to grab a spare light than to change batteries when you are on the go. So I have extras flashlights almost everywhere. I do find that I use them every day.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I used to keep trying different flashlights, until I bought this guy. (Amazon) Fully rechargeable and crazy spot light bright.. The Bat Search Light... like it....
No more batteries for me.....

But now mostly working around the bike, I like this contraption I put together out of an old camera tripod and cheap Lowes clip on light. Just point it where you want it, high or low or in between.

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm a sucker for lights too.

Saw the Milwaukee equivalent of this on SlickDeals, but I'm a cheap sod and have Ryobi cordless tools, so I bought this one.

It's been great for my reasonably, but not perfectly lit garage. Especially for the corner where my CB400F is getting revived. I think it was the dual power - battery or AC - that put me over the edge.

Way overpriced at $129USD however. Therefore I must use it often. :)

1629917098577.png

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You mean something like this?
Holy freakin' moly! YES! I had no idea but should have guessed!. Now all I have to do is find a battle lantern in decent enough shape to refurb and update it.

Thanks for that! (I think.) :D

I've no need for a big worklight but picked this little guy up at a Ryobi Days sale:

so around the homestead there's no shortage of light. As it turns out Ryobi makes a ton of hand held lights that run off the ONE+ system.

If this was 1995 you'd add steering head bearings to that list.
There have been those threads here – short lived. Not nearly as much immediate fun as a flash light. Or bunches of flashlights.

Years back a bunch of Dad's CBer friends who were beginning to work towards their Ham tickets (code and theory classes) had met up on a hill in Oakland that overlooked the bay area. One guy had this great spotlight that plugged into the car's lighter socket. It had a trigger and shown a huge beam way out into the night air. A commercial jet was flying into OAK. On a lark he flashed 'Hi' in Morse and the plane blinked white lights back the same. Everybody laughed and I was hooked on lights!

I'm about to order another Olight. An intervention may be in order but I can quit any time.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Morse code taught me the amazing power of the subconscious mind. I would hear the sound, my hand would write down the letter, Then I would think what the letter was. It was eerie....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a very bright flashlight for use around home, but for traveling I bought a pack of three Maglite Solitaire LED Key Chain Flashlight for around $30.00. The LED version is incredibly bright for such a small flashlight. The incandescent version is still available, so make sure that what you are buying is the LED version. They are easy to carry as they are so small they fit anywhere, including in a pocket, without being a nuisance. I keep one in my travel shaving kit it is so small. They throw a very surprising amount of light with a wide beam. They use one AAA battery, which can be bought anywhere if one needs replacing. For traveling, I find them to be perfect.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Morse code taught me the amazing power of the subconscious mind. I would hear the sound, my hand would write down the letter, Then I would think what the letter was. It was eerie....
Copying code was huge fun. Sitting next to my Dad in the ham shack while he sifted through the CW. Copying code was indeed like an adventure in automatic writing.

I was on ebay awhile back trying to find a only USN key that I had as a kid to hook to a practice oscillator to practice code (for no particular reason). No such luck and I haven't found an alternate I like as much.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Trying to learn code at 5wpm was impossible, It was not until I got faster that it got easier. If you are thinking about what you are doing you will not learn. It is about just reacting to the complete sound of each letter. I may have an old J-38 somewhere. Do not have the sealed navy key. I have an iambic key on the desk with a home made (kit) keyer. I have not done code in decades. Sunspots are starting to up swing. Need to blow the cob webs out of the HF rig on SSB. Maybe we should start a STocNet on 40.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Yep the ol' Navy (not Old Navy) flameproof. I see lots of variations. No doubt a few are various Mk 1 Mod X and some are home brew.

My dad and I went to a A/N surplus store in Alameda or Oakland CA comprised of some Quonset huts. My CBJ was brand new old stock in mint condition. Also got a couple different IR viewers one being some kind of snooperscope device. All brand new kit years out of date. Never been to a place its equal. To be a kid in a surplus store again...

Top Bottom