I broke off my left muffler removing it from the collector (1999 ST1100)

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
I have been riding my 2009 ST1100 since 2009, now it has over 171,000kM on the clock.
There has been an exhaust leak from where the right side 2 into 1 enters the collector, getting progressively louder every year, and I've had a decent set of exhaust pipes in the garage rafters for 4 years waiting to be installed.
This week I bit the bullet and started taking things apart, planning to reuse my original Honda silencers. Much Tupperware to remove, many bolts to spray with penetrating fluid! The right muffler came undone fairly easily but not the left! It looks like I left a significant part of the muffler pipe inside the collector clamp.
Oh no, is fleabay my only hope now?

IMG_0516.JPG

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
A local muffler ship may be able to grind to solid metal and weld a new extension pipe on it to match the other.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The heat shields are also a major problem because of the bolts they used to attach them.
I installed a Delkevic stainless steel headers on one of mine and have been really happy with them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I looked on ebay for these earlier this week. They were running from $60-$70 and a few for $100 - all USD.

OP
OP
jerryvolkers

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
Thanks for the quick replies folks, I'll try to take the pieces to a local welding/muffler shop here in Winnipeg tomorrow, will let you know how it goes!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Jerry, A college roommate of mine was driving his old clunker in Mexico a few years ago (somewhere around 40+ iirc) when his exhaust system fell off. He grabbed the pieces and continued driving but the noise was making him nuts. Tom was driving in a rural area, when a garage turned up, he pulled in, and the local mechanic cut and welded in a new piece of pipe and reinstalled what he could salvage of the old system. The cost was, I think, less than a couple of bucks, US. Things are cheaper down there, and were you to take advantage of the savings, you could stop at @Igofar in Arizona. Good luck w/ your repair. :)

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Lol! My left muffler almost falls out on its own and yours needs a graft! Go figure!

Hmmm... I should probably leave the right one alone...

The Cheese

Check with the Cheese on this board. I think he may have some for sale.
Thanks for the referral. I do have cheap mufflers for sale in the thread below. Not sure if the side you need is the one that is scuffed up. A measly $20 for both, but I bet shipping up there would be high. Should be easy to remove the heat shield and replace with another. Could even include the collector for another $20.

OP
OP
jerryvolkers

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
Update on my left muffler:
I chickened out on welding up the old one, forgot to look up The Cheese, so ordered a replacement from eBay last night, should arrive May 6 earliest.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Update on my left muffler:
I chickened out on welding up the old one, forgot to look up The Cheese, so ordered a replacement from eBay last night, should arrive May 6 earliest.
Chances are (as I discovered on my exhaust project), there was a lot more 'rot' then you can easily see.
I tried to have my exhaust headers welded by an excellent welder and the hole just kept 'walking' as welders say.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The ST is a marvel of engineering and longevity, but that exhaust collector box thing has always looked pretty mickey mouse to me. I try to keep it clean and I periodically spray it with WD40 to ward off rust and so far, so good.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Chances are (as I discovered on my exhaust project), there was a lot more 'rot' then you can easily see.
I tried to have my exhaust headers welded by an excellent welder and the hole just kept 'walking' as welders say.
The problem is that they rust from the inside out and you can't just do a surface evaluation. If you want to prevent that, and have a good set as a starting point, you can have them ceramic coated inside and out. I did that with the new set on my BMW K1100.

OP
OP
jerryvolkers

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
eBay muffler arrived yesterday, started putting things together tonight but ran out of steam around 10:30 local time.
Progress so far: Replaced leaking o-ring at oil level site glass (yes I just leaned the bike over on the side stand), left & right header pipes loosely installed with new copper gaskets and graphite bushing

Top Bottom