I Fell in Love With Motorcycles. But Could I Ever Love Sturgis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I've been to Sturgis on my ST1300... 4 days before the rally. Got my photo in from of the "Sturgis Harly Davison" shop, got a T-shirt, got a beer and got out of town. Then took part in a presidential drive-by shooting. i.e. photo of Mt. Rushmore while riding through. Have not read the article.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Maybe a little of topic, but reading this article reminded me something.
4 years ago, I was invited at a local Harley gathering by a nice guy member of the club.
Coming from Europe, I didn't have any clues about what to expect.
Stupid me, It was a really bad experience.
What I seen there was outrageously disturbing and for the sanity of this forum I am not going to give more détails.
Harley's are great but, there is also a fringe of darkness behind this attraction.
Its not easy to talk about that kind of topics and especially trying to not make generalization.
Sturgis is really concerning for many reasons and not only for spreading Covid.
Maybe, Jamie Lauren Keiles article will help some people like me to be less naïve.

Last edited:

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
I really enjoyed my trip to Sturgis. Like Joe, I went when it wasn't rally time and the town was empty. Didn't have to dodge the thousands who go then. Great scenery when it is empty. Otherwise, the rally and the people who attend don't bother me at all.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Well, he pretty well nails the H-D mindset though - wanna-be weekend bad boys.
Now there are some real 'bad boys' that ride H-Ds but that's a whole nother discussion. :biggrin:
I was at the ark meet and over breakfast a guy called them "posers". I love passing them on the highway! There is a harley guy in Pagosa Springs Co that truly dislikes me. Now, how can I be unlikable? After he discovered I rode out from boston, he disliked me even more! I love it!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I had lunch once with one of the real 'bad boys' - he was one of Sonny Barger's 'enforcers' and drug runners.
We had some very 'interesting' conversations about being in the 'club'. ;)
Oh.......... north of the border most of our enforcers, drug runners, pond scum and other n'er-do-wells are in politics, nice to see south of the border they're just in relatively harmless bike clubs

DEFINITION: Noun. ne'er-do-well (plural ne'er-do-wells) A person without a means of support; an idle, worthless person; a loafer; a person who is ineffectual, unsuccessful, or completely lacking in merit; a good-for-nothing. i.e. a politician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom