I finally got my bike...

Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
but I didn't buy an ST. I bought a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A. I had ridden both the ST and FJR, and I liked the FJR better. It really came down to which one I could get a better deal on. I ended up buying it from a guy over on the fjrriders.com forums that only lived about 150 miles from me. This guy took great care of the bike, and included every reciept from everthing he ever did to it.

Here's a list of all the farkles.
- Russell rider and passenger seats
- Two Brothers exhaust
- Yamaha top trunk
- Audiovox cruise control
- V-Stream windshield
- Tech Mount stem mount for a GPS
- Frame sliders
- Hyper-Lites
- heated grips

I only got to ride it the 150 miles home so far, but I love it already. I'm going to get my plates tomorrow morning then I can start putting some miles on it.

This forum is full of great people and I plan on sticking around, even though I don't have an ST.

James

Bike
99 ST1100
Congrats on the new bike! I went back and forth on the FJR vs. the ST myself. Ultimately went with the ST but the FJR is a nice ride - and very fast, too.

:bk11:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
We don't care what you ride... sounds like a great deal... the bike looks great..

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
but I didn't buy an ST. I bought a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A. I had ridden both the ST and FJR, and I liked the FJR better. It really came down to which one I could get a better deal on. I ended up buying it from a guy over on the fjrriders.com forums that only lived about 150 miles from me. This guy took great care of the bike, and included every reciept from everthing he ever did to it.

Here's a list of all the farkles.
- Russell rider and passenger seats
- Two Brothers exhaust
- Yamaha top trunk
- Audiovox cruise control
- V-Stream windshield
- Tech Mount stem mount for a GPS
- Frame sliders
- Hyper-Lites
- heated grips

I only got to ride it the 150 miles home so far, but I love it already. I'm going to get my plates tomorrow morning then I can start putting some miles on it.

This forum is full of great people and I plan on sticking around, even though I don't have an ST.

James
Congrats James,

also went with an FJR (08) and am very happy with it. Be careful with it at first, the rev's spin up so fast it can almost get away from you.

May put some stripes on mine someday, they do look nice :)

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Sweet looking machine - Congrats!

I do like the FJR's. I've always been a little fearful of the ergo's, but now having spent some time on a Blackbird I'm wondering if some of the "sportier" bikes might be more comfortable than first thought...

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Congrats James. That's one beautiful machine!

There are several of us here on the site that used to run ST1300s and crossed over the Feejer. Great folks here, and everyone enjoys hearing about S-T bikes similar to the ST1300.

You'll love the FJR. The only thing I don't like about it is the nastly driveline snatch that the '06 and '07 models have. Easy to fix with a PCIII or PC-V though. You'll want to get the suspension tweaked for your weight / riding style, as it makes quite a bit of difference. PM for details of how I've got mine set up if you want.

The front end is also senstive to worn out tires. I've been running and happy with the OEM Z6, but just put on a PR2 in the front. So far, I like it.

Give us a report after you've been riding on it a while.

Rick

OP
OP
jamesh75
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
Thanks for the compliments.

Rick, the guy I bought the bike from is about the same size as I am. So I'm not sure if I'll need to make any suspension adjustments or not. Is there somewhere I can find out what it should be set at for your weight? My wife will be riding with me about half the time, so I'll either need to get it set at a happy medium, or change it when she rides with me.

James

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Thanks for the compliments.

Rick, the guy I bought the bike from is about the same size as I am. So I'm not sure if I'll need to make any suspension adjustments or not. Is there somewhere I can find out what it should be set at for your weight? My wife will be riding with me about half the time, so I'll either need to get it set at a happy medium, or change it when she rides with me.

James
James,

I found this site some time ago with suggested settings: Clicky. Note that these are for an '05 Gen I bike that is about 30 lbs lighter than yours.

Here's what I'm running. My settings are more aggressive than stock, but not as aggressive as sportrider.com recommends. I kept a spreadsheet while I was playing around with the settings and noted how it felt each time I made a change. I ride solo most of the time, but change the rear spring preload to "Hard" when my wife rides with me. For reference I'm about 195 lbs, old, a fair amount of miles under my belt, but generally ride pretty tame. Occasional bursts of spirited riding in the corners, but rarely ever scrape pegs.

Front spring preload: Line 3
Front Rebound damping: 6 clicks counter-clockwise
Front compression damping: 8 clicks counter-clockwise
Rear spring preload: Soft
Rear rebound damping: 6 clicks counter-clockwise

I hope this helps.

Rick

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
For suspension setting do some searches on the site or Internet. Here is a pretty simple explanation. http://m.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_set_your_static_sag/index.html

Get some friends to help. If the front suspension hasn't been touched and you weigh around 200 pounds you will likely find you need new springs. Rear you can adjust but also might need to make an upgrade for two up. Just do the measurement and see where you end up. Here are my results after sonic spring install:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48323

Really getting close on fixing the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom