I Know It's Flat and the Roads are Straight in Kansas, but...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
It looks like one of the local boys has gone to the Darkside. We may have to call Rhonda and stage an intervention (although the square tire didn't seem to slow him down much last Saturday.) How's this gonna work in CO next week?

Attachments

STOC #
Saw one of those at the Hamburger King RTE in Shawnee several weeks ago - I think there must be a virus or something going around...

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Maybe you could ask the Darsider to slow down enough for you to actually see how it response to the road, might help with your many FEARS .

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Saw one of those at the Hamburger King RTE in Shawnee several weeks ago - I think there must be a virus or something going around...
Gene is right, it is surprising when you drag a peg, and you think you have backed off to allow for the "poor" handling characteristics of the tire. But then I remember that it has air in it, and made of rubber, so it actually flexes to stay in contact with the road. Much like those videos we see of cars torturing the sidewalls as they use the warning curb as part of the track.
I don't question your sincerity when you worry, but unless and until you ride on, or follow to see the tire performs, doubters are only speaking from fear of the unknown.
This installment of my rant is over. :D
http://www.tcmotorsports.net/blog/index.php/2011/07/rear-suspension-of-a-bmw-pro3-race-car-in-action/
Given that our bikes are light weights in comparison to the car, and the tire tilts in the turn on the car, I don't see how we can even come close to abusing the tire as much as the car can. And since it was designed to do this on the car, are we really pushing the envelope at all?

Bike
ST1300
Well ... you go out for a 1,500 mile trip over four days and there are over 2,000 posts waiting when you get back ... :D

As for my 'darkside leaning' this week... I went over, around, and through, some of the curviest roads the Appalachian states had to offer me during this trip and I didn't have a problem with any of them. Last night I was trying to outrun the advancing rains from the tropical storm coming up from the gulf so I made a Bonzai charge eastbound on I-40 through the mountains. Riding 80 MPH most of the way through those passes was something I never felt comfortable with on motorcycle tire (because of three lanes wide with semi trucks right next to me) ... now with this Hankook on the rear, even with a bit of mist on the road, felt sticky and solid. I don't think your Kansas darksider will have any problems in Colorado ... unless he misses a curve entry while looking back to see where you might be . . .

Made ONE rest stop on I-40 after four hours and when I put my hand on the rear to check for heat ... I had to use my other hand to pull my palm from the tread - it was that sticky. But, I might be exaggerating a bit. Darksiders are happy enough they can do that .......

Top Bottom