I only got 100 feet.

O24

Well it?s been a week since the ego got a little bruised.

I received two ST1300PA's for the city. Rolled both bikes off the dealer?s trailer and rode one around the city shop for pictures. I got on the second bike that showed .07 miles on the odometer. I rode about 100 feet going straight, all of a sudden I rode over something slick, the bike slipped, went on its right side wing and I went on my butt. I stood up and the bike motored on its side in first gear making 10 foot diameter circle before I shut down the emergency stop switch.

The wings saved me and after $18.50 for a new plastic wing cover the damage was fixed.

New tires and freshly sealed asphalt don?t mix.
:policeST:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Why didn't the tip over kill switch stop the engine?
The ST1100 has one... maybe the ST1300 does not or maybe the ST1300P does not...

Otherwise: DOH! :D

Mark

STOC #
The safety cut out switch should have kicked in

You better get them checked out

Peter

OP
OP

O24

The tip over kill switch is a mystery. The owners manual says it has one. Once the bike gets back from outfitting its going back to the dealer to get looked at.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The tip over kill switch is a mystery. The owners manual says it has one. Once the bike gets back from outfitting its going back to the dealer to get looked at.
Excellent.

Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300
Yes Kill switch is there..
1st time I tipped the ST over was ON Mt Washington, NH...Yes for those of you who don't know, home of the highest recorded wind on the planet...

Imagine how pissed off I was after owning the bike for about 1 month and having it go down (My fault completely) and to my amazement, the only thing hitting the ground was the tip over wing which was the beginning of a love affair with my bike. There was a little plastice marred on the under side of the plastic wing which I did not bother replacing..(character:cool: )

Back to the program...
So after it goes over I pick it up among curses and it won't start..So I figure..I'm 3,000 feet up a mountain so it should be a an easy pop start..So I coast down the mountain trying to pop-start the whole way down and she just won't start..I coast into the lower parking area and luckily there is a VTX rider sitting there and tells me to turn the key off and recycle the computer...She fires right up:rolleyes:

Good stuff...

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I wasn't there, but arrived a few minutes after it happened... The ST had a vista cruise installed, and it was binding, not traveling freely when disengaged (yes, the way some people like to use the throttlemeister).

The bike had fallen over, and the same thing as O24 experienced, it went around in circles, until the emergency cutoff switch was clicked. I've no idea why the angle sensor isn't turning these off. But for sure, get those throttle locks working correctly ;)

regards,

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Maybe the tip-over switch only kicks in if there is no throttle input.....

It'd be a shame for the tip-over switch to kick in mid-corner.

Don't know but just a thought.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
On the 1100, it's a simple tilt sensor, with no input from the throttle. On the injected 1300, that would be technically possible, but I'd be a bit surprised if it were implemented that way. Going down with a jammed throttle would be exactly when you need the cut-out most. And the 1100, at least, has to be leaned well past anything you could do with both tires on the ground for the cut-out switch to engage.

I for one would really like to know how the 1300 sensor works. It may well be that it only works if the throttle is closed. It is possible to lean the bike into a corner and touch the tip-over wings (not speaking from experience... yet).

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Looking at the service manual and having seen the one that was recalled/replaced on my 1100, the BAS on the 1300 appears identical to the ones fitted to the ST1100s and GLs. I went down whilst on the gas with my 1100 and also on my 1300 (parking lot practice) and in both cases the BAS promptly killed the engine.

I wonder if, in the installation of the police equipment, someone improperly mounted the BAS. I think they need to be mounted pretty close to if not perfectly vertical.

I think you're right Jeff. The sensor may very well be the same part. However it would be a rather easy for the ECU logic to ignore the sensor if the throttle sensor is open. I know the bank angle sensor workes on my bike (now I'm speaking from experience) but I can't say that the engine died before the trottle was closed. When you dropped yours, did you still have the throttle open?

STOC #
I for one would really like to know how the 1300 sensor works. It may well be that it only works if the throttle is closed. It is possible to lean the bike into a corner and touch the tip-over wings (not speaking from experience... yet).
Yeah, but in that situation g-forces are still allowing then sensor think it's vertical. G-force is the reason the bike doesn't go down when leaning in a turn. All the weight of the bike is still being force directly towards where the rubber meets the road.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think you're right Jeff. The sensor may very well be the same part. However it would be a rather easy for the ECU logic to ignore the sensor if the throttle sensor is open. I know the bank angle sensor workers on my bike (now I'm speaking from experience) but I can't say that the engine died before the throttle was closed. When you dropped yours, did you still have the throttle open?
Yes I was on the gas in both cases the crashes were caused by the rear wheel "letting go", spinning up and sliding out upon over indulgent throttle application while exiting a corner. The mystery is why the TCS on my 1100 didn't stop it in that case.

Top Bottom