I went to Hogwarts

No seriously!

King Ludwig bought the ruined castle of Falkenstein near Pfronten and would have turned it into the fourth story-tale castle after Neusschwanstein, Linderhof and Hohenschwangau had he not done an Epstein and had himself suicided.
The story goes that the plans for Falkenstein were used as a template for Hogwarts. So now you know the rest of the story... The ride up is very technical, a two kilometer very narrow road, just wide enough for a car, with plenty of hairpins and turns and sheer drops, you do not want to misjudge your line here. The view from the top is simply breathtaking, King Ludwig may have been insane but he sure knew how to pick a spot.
It was a great run over the bendy roads at Bad Hindelang and the Oberjoch, then into Austria and back over Reutte.
It was about then that I noticed the front brake leaver leaking fluid. Looks like a repair is in order.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It was about then that I noticed the front brake leaver leaking fluid. Looks like a repair is in order.
Very nice scenic photos!
And by the way, I never store brake fluid in my front brake lever, and I've never had a leak there.
I kid!
Yeah, you'll want that front brake the next time you're rolling down those steep twisties in the hills.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I've enjoyed visiting all of Ludwig's castles and many others throughout Europe, but never heard of this one. It's breathtaking.

As to his death, if I'm remembering correctly, he was an excellent swimmer and drowned in a shallow lake he could have walked out of and the finance minister was seen walking away from the lake. Ostensibly murdered as he was bankrupting Bavaria. The irony of this is that Bavaria's biggest money maker today is tourists touring Ludwig's castles!

Great pictures, thanks. Wish I was there!

Shuey

Top Bottom