if stranded with a flat, don't call Cycle Gear

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I had a rear tyre go bad in Ely Nevada.Ordered a new one at an atv shop.picked it up next day,went to a truck/car tyre shop.They gave me a bay to use,tools l needed and a piece of cardboard to crawl around on.They re/re tyre.
Charged me $12. They got a healthy tip.Lucky on the “Loneliest Hwy. In the U.S.A.“ Seems The small towns are the best.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Every day in retail is different and just because I got cold waffle fries once at Chick Fil A I still eat there quite often.
We got one out my way awhile back and the "novelty" still hasn't worn off. The lines for drive thru and walk-in frequently look like breadlines in the Cold War era. I've lucked out a little and had short waits. But I really really like the "fast food" option of Chick Fit A.

However Cycle Gear is a different story for me. There's one not too far from me, so I sometimes check there before ordering anywhere. I think my ST riding buddy brings his wheels in for tire changes. The staff there has never seemed enthusiastic about their jobs in all the years I've frequented the store. Occasionally they have a sale on something I want but otherwise I just don't bother. Road Rider is a longer way to go but I've always had pleasant interactions with their crew over the same amount of time.

On a ride to MT I picked up a nail in a brand new tire. We plugged it and when we got to Helena I decided to get a new tire at a MegaStore. They didn't have the tire factory brand/size or the proper size and said so. They had something that fit and I thought that safer then traveling on a plugged tire.

[I've since learned the error of my ways.]

They were fully booked but squeezed me in and removed changed the tire anyway and we were on our way. I didn't need to replace the tire but we didn't know better. But I was pleased they were willing to help me out and I wasn't even stranded. I'll probably take my tire to them when it needs to be replaced but expectations will be well managed.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Check here for keeping a tire plug kit on your bike:

I bought my Silverwing last May with new tires on it and pretty much 1-2 rides in, I got a screw in the rear tire. I keep a tail bag on the bike that I move from bike to bike depending on the one I’m using that day and in it, I have an electric tire pump (that connects to my SAE battery cord on each bike), the Nealy kit, the Slime kit and gummi worms, extra gloves, tire gauge, and my GPS. I originally used a Slime branded worm with rubber cement- seemed to work well enough, but then I noted some air leaking from the repair (as per my TPMS)- one day it was losing a PSI per 10 minutes. Got the scooter home and was surprised how easily the Slime gummi worm pulled out of the hole. I then used the Nearly kit which is supposed to be a permanent repair (rubber plug going into the thickness of the tire). It’s been ~ 8 months so far and no air loss is noted between rides, so I guess it is, in fact, a permanent repair. I bought tire patches and do plan to do a proper internal patch, but for the time being, the Nealy plug is working very well.

If I was on a local ride and noted a screw in the tire, I would likely just leave it in to get me home as it’s acting as a plug anyway, then do the plug vs patch repair. If it was a long distance ride, I would wait until it was safe and I was done riding for the day, then do a plug repair (this assumes not a remarkable degree of air loss). If it holds, it’s getting me home, and then consider the internal patch vs replacing the tire. As for the Silverwing, people generally get 12K miles out of a rear tire, so if I can patch it and ride the tire til it’s toast (I only have ~ 3K miles on it since I bought it), then get a new one, that’s what I’m doing.

As far as the Nealy kit, I have no financial interest in the company, and I can say it is the best plug in my opinion.

Last edited:
One way to make almost absolutly sure you won't have a flat is to be ready for one. I did have one in my garage and used my plugger on it for practice, glad I did.
On my wife's 1st long ride we were in Butte loading up to make the run home to Seattle area and she asked if that tire was going to get us home. I looked at about a 1 inch strip of cord on the rear. "No it won't" Did not take into consideration that every road seemed to be getting chip sealed.
Started making calls and Honda didn't have one but could move us ahead to put one on, Suzuki had one but couldn't put it on. We crossed town with a tire between us.
They seemed to understand since as a tourist town they probably hear the same story a lot.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had an unusual year in 2022 with four separate flat tubeless tires while riding. I carry a Nealy kit, a cigarette lighter, rubber cement, and a small compressor (either an Antigravity or Slime motorcycle oriented pump). I did have one old compressor fail when riding with friends but another compressor got me going. I check my compressors before big trips as they do fail occasionally.

I don't carry much in terms of tools on my bike. I do carry worms and a compressor though to fix stuff like this. If hole is fixable that is...a repair takes 15 min or less while the wheel is on the bike. Can't beat that IMO.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly what i do. The bikes, the autos ... all have a plug kit and portable compressor. I also used to carry a bottle of fix a flat, but the plug is better.

Great example ... I'm about two miles away from home, on the way to grocery store ... the TPMS beeped, warning me about a loss of air in a tire ... and it was losing air pretty quick.

I pull over immediately in a school parking lot and checked the tire out ... this is what I pulled out. (a sliver of aluminum I think)

I've fixed bike flats, on the spot, on about 4-5 occasions.

Fixed it on the spot and went back home.

1683937478540.png

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Which pump do you have?
It’s a Slime branded compressor that hooks to an SAE connector right off the battery- make sure the bike is on and running when filling your tire- it would be a shame to fix your puncture then be unable to ride off since you killed the battery.

I’m a little too compulsive I guess- prior to the last one of the longer trips to the Cherohala, I brought a battery jumper with me as well. That now normally sits in the saddlebag of the 2000 ST- I used it only once on my neighbor’s HD- took 2% of the 100% indicated to jump his bike, but I told him his battery was likely marginal and should be replaced. My bikes are regularly on Deltran Battery Tenders when not in use.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly what i do. The bikes, the autos ... all have a plug kit and portable compressor. I also used to carry a bottle of fix a flat, but the plug is better.

Great example ... I'm about two miles away from home, on the way to grocery store ... the TPMS beeped, warning me about a loss of air in a tire ... and it was losing air pretty quick.

I pull over immediately in a school parking lot and checked the tire out ... this is what I pulled out. (a sliver of aluminum I think)

I've fixed bike flats, on the spot, on about 4-5 occasions.

Fixed it on the spot and went back home.

1683937478540.png
I've plugged a car tire like that to get home but replaced the tire as the puncture is too close to the shoulder to trust a repair.

When is it Safe to Repair Your Tire?

the repairable are of most tires is restricted to the crown
There are a number of factors that may determine whether or not your tire is safe to repair. These factors fall into three main categories:

• Placement of the Injury: For passenger tires, puncture repairs must be within the crown area of the tire. Damage to the shoulder or sidewall cannot be repaired.
  • Size of the Puncture: For fabric-ply passenger and light truck tires, the maximum repairable injury size is ¼” (6mm). For steel belted light truck, medium and heavy-duty truck tires, the maximum injury size is 3/8” (10mm).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Which pump do you have?
This thread was about bashing Cycle Gear but I guess it took a turn to tire repair kits. All my road going motorcycles have stored on-board tire repair kits with compressors, tools, plugs and cement. To save room you can remove the plastic housing around the compressor and fashion a guard to keep the mechanism from pinching or cutting a finger. Use T handle tools and I favor gummy worm rope plugs. I replace the cement in each kit annually to ensure it is going to be usable when needed. Cement not only helps seal but aids insertion of the plug. T handles will make insertion easier. Make sure the compressor will connect to the bike's battery with a SAE, Powerlet, or cigarette lighter unique to the bike.

Air Compressor1.jpg

Air Compressor2.jpg

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I would agree that the thread deviated from the original topic about Cycle Gear- that said, I think it’s a very good idea to be prepped for the unexpected, and many have very good ideas for that here. Getting a new tire installed while on a road trip seems a bit of a PIA (and I understand sometimes it can’t be avoided depending on the nature of the tire damage). When I’ve taken the last several trips, the person in charge of the ride would make us all aware to check the tires before the ride, just because it’s going to be difficult to get a new one, or get one installed in a hurry, especially on a weekend. One of the riders on a K1600GT was down to cords near the end of the ride, then he had to ride another 400 miles or so to get home to GA- he made it but the cords showing through actually concerned me (about him getting home without issue). Same applies to the routine maintenance the bike needs (oil/filter/brake and clutch fluids, battery, etc.)- the bike should be good to go for the length of the trip, not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. You can’t prepare for absolutely everything, but it’s always good to mitigate risk (and risk mitigation includes having to do a roadside repair which may in itself be hazardous)

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would agree that the thread deviated from the original topic about Cycle Gear- that said, I think it’s a very good idea to be prepped for the unexpected, and many have very good ideas for that here. Getting a new tire installed while on a road trip seems a bit of a PIA (and I understand sometimes it can’t be avoided depending on the nature of the tire damage). When I’ve taken the last several trips, the person in charge of the ride would make us all aware to check the tires before the ride, just because it’s going to be difficult to get a new one, or get one installed in a hurry, especially on a weekend. One of the riders on a K1600GT was down to cords near the end of the ride, then he had to ride another 400 miles or so to get home to GA- he made it but the cords showing through actually concerned me (about him getting home without issue). Same applies to the routine maintenance the bike needs (oil/filter/brake and clutch fluids, battery, etc.)- the bike should be good to go for the length of the trip, not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. You can’t prepare for absolutely everything, but it’s always good to mitigate risk (and risk mitigation includes having to do a roadside repair which may in itself be hazardous)
Cords showing just means there is rubber on the other side……..NOT MUCH though. I’ve gone on a few trips where one of the other riders spent quality time looking for a new tire because they left with a half worn tire. I am taking a 6000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies in June…..new tires front/rear, new rear brake pads, full brake fluid replacement/bleed, clutch bleed, and a fresh oil/filter change. Attempting to prevent problems is always better than fixing them.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I have a few Cycle Gear stores near me.
I like the brick and mortar shops enough to vote for them with my money.
I do have my favorite CG location as they are all not the same.
In a pinch to get going, they also stock various spoons and Ride-on.
Bring those to the front counter, and you may get bumped in the queue.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
I've also had problems with Cycle Gear, but mainly online. Their customer support has been rude on multiple occasions so I won't buy from them(or their sister stores) anymore. Local folks have been ok, though.

Top Bottom