If they make it

Bike
VStrom 650
Bayoubear.
Looks interesting at the moment at Honda HQ. What with this and the 750 and 1100 AT rumours it looks like they've realised that there's a need for a sports tourer.
Now if the 1100 AT motor could find it's way into this then you could start to think it could be a ST replacement. The AT 1100 would appear to be good speculation/rumour.
Thanks for posting.
Upt'North.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I really liked my NT700V (Deauville). It had all day comfort. And when you hit the twisties, it did okay. Not great. But good enough. With shaft drive, it was a no-fuss commuter. The only weakness I saw was the panniers. I never had a problem, but lots of owners had the locking mechanism break since they were mounted in plastic.

If Honda can come up with an updated version, it could potentially take off. The Deauville sold for something like 16 years in Europe. They used it for police bikes and package delivery bikes, as well as private commuting and touring use. It didn't sell well here in the USA though. The MSRP was high, and the salesmen put it in the rear of the showroom.

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it at a motorcycle show and more so when it's on Honda's site. I couldn't stand listening to Ersnt Stavro Blowhard's YT diatribe so here's a link to visordown with some less biased more direct 'reporting'. motostation.com may have issues.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I have no use for central locking or an automatic transmission.

My ideal touring bike would have several factory features. Full fairing, dual separate headlights (H4), 800 cc minimum, shaft drive, 5/6 speed OD trans., 275 mile range minimum, cruise control, saddle bags big enough to hold a helmet, 40+ amp. alternator, readily available tire sizes, center stand, separate driver & rider seats, 750 pounds max. weight, aluminum cast wheels and use regular gas.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I have no use for central locking or an automatic transmission.

My ideal touring bike would have several factory features. Full fairing, dual separate headlights (H4), 800 cc minimum, shaft drive, 5/6 speed OD trans., 275 mile range minimum, cruise control, saddle bags big enough to hold a helmet, 40+ amp. alternator, readily available tire sizes, center stand, separate driver & rider seats, 750 pounds max. weight, aluminum cast wheels and use regular gas.
I would add - make the engine a down sized V4 1100 to 800cc - NOT the 1300 engine - and 500 pounds max.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I will be Tango Uniform long before my ST11 is. So, I guess I'll just keep riding it. Carry on.

Edited to add: I don't like the sound or character of the AT engine for an ST replacement. It would be more a Pacific Coast replacement in my mind. For the ST, let's have a VFR800 engine turned 90 degrees with a shaft drive and "normal" valve actuation. Put a small (no-lag) turbo on it with wastegate programming for constant torque delivery and hook it up to the buyers choice of a DCT or 6-speed box. Don't let the styling guys make it look like an angry wasp. Long range, good luggage, and the usual electronic doo-dads.

Last edited:

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
The best sport/touring bikes from 800s to1600s are already being made. Honda turned there back on us by dropping the ST lineup. I don't see how Honda or anyone else could pull off a game changer.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The best sport/touring bikes from 800s to1600s are already being made. Honda turned there back on us by dropping the ST lineup. I don't see how Honda or anyone else could pull off a game changer.
A game changer is possible from any existing stage of development. They easily could, but the dismal economics of it make it a work of love rather than a work of profit. Stockholders frown on the company having hobbies like that. I doubt it will be built. The first 1200 lb. inter-trans-ultracontinental bagger with landing gear is more likely.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I wish they would have done more with the VFR1200. Maybe make it a bit more upright, larger gas tank and come stock with side bags. I'm surprised the VFR1200X didn't sell better? I finally saw my first one at a dealer last weekend. It was a new 2016 and they are asking under $10,000 for it. They have it downstairs with the used bikes. I think Honda lost a lot of business when they started selling multi brands at "powersports" dealers. The Ones around here only have Goldwings and Groms. I once was interested in a new 2007 ST1300 and the dealer told me the Concourse was a lot more bike and a lot cheaper. Took them three years to sell the 2007.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
A game changer is possible from any existing stage of development. They easily could, but the dismal economics of it make it a work of love rather than a work of profit. Stockholders frown on the company having hobbies like that. I doubt it will be built. The first 1200 lb. inter-trans-ultracontinental bagger with landing gear is more likely.
Yamaha is leading the way on that one with their new Star Venture Transcontinental. 963 pounds! Only 237 pounds away!

Top Bottom