If you are looking for a camping trailer...

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
...and aren't we all?

Take a look at:

www.rackandroll.com

When I mentioned I was interested in a trailer to pull with my ST while talking with my brother-in-law, he sent me a page from a catalog about this.

My BIL is a big kayak freak. He builds his own sea-going varieties. According to him, these are very light weight.

Check it out for yourself.

gonzo

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Seems like one of the engineer types around here could come up with a Thule based trailer crossed with a Unigo single wheel for way less $ than either the rackandroll or the unigo.....

I've been kind of toying with the trailer idea for 2-up longer trips but most trailers are just too danged expensive.

OP
OP
Gonzo

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have a plan for a trailer in my head, but have no time to put one together yet. I envision using 2 identical bicycle frames that have suspension and the rear wheels. Then put a cargo box on it. It will be tricky finding 2 identical mountain bike rear suspension frames, tho.

In the meantime, a local dealer has the rackandroll trailer for $1799. Spare wheel is $20 less, too.

You might shop around if you are interested.

gonzo

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Seems like one of the engineer types around here could come up with a Thule based trailer crossed with a Unigo single wheel for way less $ than either the rackandroll or the unigo.....

I've been kind of toying with the trailer idea for 2-up longer trips but most trailers are just too danged expensive.

Somebody has.... have you heard of the Monogo?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

If that's all you want, you can get this shipped to you for $600
and take off the box if you just want the frame. Lots of wingers get the
harbor freight trailer frame, cut/narrow it and do the same thing for
even less than this.

The piggybacker

fitenfyr

Parrothead
Ok so where do we get the hitch for the ST?
I have pondered the idea of a trailer for my bike as sometimes I need to transport my fire fighting gear to another station for the day.
A trailer would make that job much easier.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I'm interested in a group buy for hitches!!!!
Has anyone/have friends that have used the Monogo trailer? :bigpop:

Trey
:biker:
I'm going to St-Jean QC to pick mine up at the end of June. I'll then bring it back home in Nova Scotia, a ~1200 km ride, and I'll be able to share my impressions upon return.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm going to St-Jean QC to pick mine up at the end of June. I'll then bring it back home in Nova Scotia, a ~1200 km ride, and I'll be able to share my impressions upon return.
hey NSWindRider,
have you picked up the trailer?
what do you think of it??

thanks!
D.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
hey NSWindRider,
have you picked up the trailer?
what do you think of it??

thanks!
D.
No, I haven't. I changed my mind and went with a conventional 2-wheel trailer that I got for a good price from a friend. If I was to have to do it again, I'd probably go for a mono-wheel though, mostly for the look I think because I have to say that the 2-wheel handles a lot better than I had anticipated, but it just doesn't look right behind the ST.

STOC #
The only problem with the Monogo is that he won't, and from my conversation
with him is not interested in, selling or shipping to the US :(

Spencer

ezwryder

Farklemeister
Bike
05 ST-1300
STOC #
If the group is truly interested in a group buy, I can help you out but there are a few things to know.

The only hitch I've seen worth putting on the ST is from Classic Industries in Australia. It mounts easily and is sturdy enough to handle the little pop-up camper I pull. It's not a receiver hitch (removable ball), but only requires four bolts, so if you are a fashionista, you can unbolt it easily enough when not towing.

The FJR forum approached me about doing a group buy. The bad news: There is no substantial savings on a group buy. Often, a big part of the savings in a group buy comes by buying and shipping in bulk. This is particularly true of the Aussie hitches since air postage is about $125/hitch.

Steve Kitney (Classic Ind owner) doesn't care to ship in bulk because he's had too many bad experiences with damaged goods. I can understand that and I'm not sure I'd do it either.

The other part of a group buy discount usually comes from getting a better margin on volume purchases. As a Classic Ind dealer, I get a modest discount per hitch, no matter the volume. It's about half the margin you get on stuff like lights and riding gear because (I know you've heard this before) hitches are not a high volume business.

If any one on the forum would like to order an ST hitch, I'd be happy to give you some of my margin as a fellow rider who shows good taste by riding an ST. ($420 vs. $445) You'd save about $25. Just say you're an ST-Owners forum member. If you are in the market for a trailer (I handle several that tow well behind an ST) and you buy them together, I can do a lot better on the hitch.

I don't want to step beyond the bounds of forum etiquette, so if you have a further interest, contact me offline (dale@openroadoutfitters.com).

Oh, and if you know of another manufacturer who makes decent hitches for all model year ST's who'd be willing to work with a dealer on a group buy, let me know.

Regards,

d.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't want to step beyond the bounds of forum etiquette,
Forum Etiquette..... well, lets see... trying to offer goods and services to members...

Works for me... :clap2:

Top Bottom