in praise of carpal tunnel surgery

Bike
ST1300 '08
I'm not sure this belongs in "health concerns..." but perhaps someone will find this helpful:

I'm 54. Overall fit and healthy.

Normal for me was within minutes of getting on the bike, my right hand would hurt, and become numb. After riding, esp if it was a long day on the bike, it would be swollen and sore. When I rode from central OK to the rockies over the summer I had to ice my hand and it hurt so much I couldn't sleep. I have grip puppies, MCL risers, and a throttle boss, all of which helped. I totally relied on the throttle boss to hold the throttle open, and was constantly moving my hand and re-gripping so I could continue my rides.. gripping with pinkie, index finger, alternating, heel of hand only, anything to alleviate the discomfort.

fast forward:

my wife and I are both professional musicians, same age. She is a violinist, I am a trumpeter. She had her right hand (bow arm) done 3 months ago by a renowned hand surgeon who does it endoscopically, meaning, a very small incision in the palm and a very small incision in the fold of the wrist. Incision recovery is a matter of about 6 days, one stitch each. They slice the carpal tendon in two, which is about 1 1/2" wide and spans across the heel of your hand, and they leave it cut in two. So that part takes 4 weeks to heal, but the whole works is totally no big deal to survive.

Because she had it done, I talked to the doc, he examined me, and said I had moderate to severe carpal tunnel syndrome. He noted that I was already losing muscle mass in my thumb, nerve response wasn't right, and it would only get worse in time.

So 3 weeks ago today I had my right hand done. Since I could not ride for a time I had my seat Spencerized. It arrived today from him (fantastic service btw), and since it was 3 weeks (only hurrying the process by one week [!!]) I put the seat back on and took my first ride post surgery.

I rode for 90 minutes on two lane country roads, fast and slow, curvy roads, etc.. and ZERO pain or numbness in my right hand. I am thrilled. This changes everything for me.

In fact, I pulled over and removed the throttle boss as it was irritating one of my incisions, put it in the glove box in the fairing, and rode 45 minutes back w/o it, gripping the throttle the whole way, ZERO discomfort. Hooray!

sorry for the long post... but if you are having probs with your hands, see about finding a doctor that can do the "Chow" endoscopic method. It's a good deal.

best - KS

5 minutes on the bike and my throttle hand was numb, that kinda ruled out any trips longer than to work and back.
I had CT surgery done a few years ago.
Now I can ride all day and not have any problems.

Now one of these days I'll have to do my left hand. It's not near as bad, but I'm right handed and was a mechanic for years...

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've had both of my hands done... about 6 years ago. :bow1:

I don't have the strength in them like I used to, but then I don't wake up with my fingers swollen... dropping things for no reason(have no idea whose coffee is spilled all over the floor :eek::)... or hurting like I used to ;)

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 '08
that "loss of strength" thing is a solid reason to get it done before all that sufficiently deteriorates... I am hopeful I'll be OK in that dept.. I'll know soon.

I just want to encourage people that while it's smart to avoid surgery in general, in this case, if you're hurting, check it out.

My 80 year old Dad wears those useless braces to bed every night on his hands.. he is really active, loves to golf, etc., and those things are doing zero good.. if he'd get his hands fixed he'd be much better off.. and in his case he's put it off for ages - and time marches on.

Git 'er done.

Bike
ST 1300
I wish my problem could be solved that quick.

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=27

This is my problem and its getting progressively worse. Some sites on the net say its heredity and caused by a mutant gene (no funnies Kempo). It has been in my left hand for about 5 years and now its affecting my right hand. Hopefully by the time I am half crippled from it the Auto ST will be available. Maybe I can get one with a foot throttle.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 '08
I have that too, but barely so far. My mom's is getting bad. It runs in families of european descent... have you seen a good hand doctor? when I go for my 4 week check on my hand I'll ask my guy.... good luck -

Bike
ST 1300
My left pinky is now about 2/3rds of an inch shorter than my right pinky...my doc tells me that surgery and rehab are not very pleasant and that if it doesn't HURT live with it. I think I may need a second opinion before long to save my right hand.

Let me know what you find out from your doc. Thanks.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I wish my problem could be solved that quick.

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=27

They also call it the "Viking Disease" because it affects people of Viking origin (Scandinavian, Irish, Eastern European...all places founded and/or ruled by Vikings for centuries). University College in London did a study on Dupuytren's Contracture and found that the DNA of just about everybody they tested shared what has come to be known as the "Viking gene."

My Dad (Scottish-English ancestry) suffered from Dupuytren's, and by the time he was 80, he could only use the thumb and forefinger on either hand - the rest of his fingers were completely curled in and useless.

So yes indeed, find a good hand doctor - it's important!!

Patty

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Had both my hands done with the old fashioned slice her wide open style of carpal tunnel surgery about 16 years ago.

Best thing I ever did. Now I can ride the ST all day with no cruise or even the throttlemeister which was on the bike when I bought it.

Never get a cramped or sore wrist, even on our Westoc trip this summer it was no problem.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Four year ago I had my right done, it has been great. This winter I will have the left done, it needed it at the same time but not as bad, until I had the right done, now I really feel it some days. Alot when using the clutch alot around town.

Top Bottom