Is this normal ?

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I just got home after Honda service replaced my brake pads. When looking at the back I seems that the let side is not as it should be ... Am I mistaken or it is something wrong.

Attachments

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
With the low resolution picture that you have I cannot see anything that looks abnormal. My first thought was that it looked like the rotor was rubbing against the holding pin but that I'm sure is just an optical illusion from the angle that the photo was taken.

Here are a couple of links to some pictures that might help... picture 1, linky

I'm sure you will realize that the picture shows the caliper not yet mounted but it does give you a good idea what it should look like...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It does not look like the disc is straight. Is it rubbing or hard to spin when up on the stand? It does not look right but it is sometimes hard to tell in a photo.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hard to say as the picture doesn't look to be taken directly behind the caliper but slightly off to the right as viewed......

One taken directly behind and one taken looking up from below and behind may make it easier to offer constructive comment.

I would put some Moly or copper grease on my pad retaining pin though, but then, I live in the UK where we suffer badly from corrosion on such things.

OP
OP
whynot?
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Caliper looks like in the picture Scooter linked, so I think it is OK. I was expecting that the brake pads be flush on both sides.

OP
OP
whynot?
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It does not look like the disc is straight. Is it rubbing or hard to spin when up on the stand? It does not look right but it is sometimes hard to tell in a photo.
Wheel spins ok when on center stand, it does sound like it is touching the pads but I am not somebody who actually knows how it should sound. Maybe is time to get more close and personal with my bike.

v8-7

Site Supporter
The space is to allow the pads to move back and forth so they release when you let off the brakes and it also allows for pad wear .

Mine looks a bit crooked as well .

Some rubbing will occur when you release the brakes , especially when you're just spinning the wheel .
There is no spring to release the brake pad from the "closed" position,only the run-out of the brake disk
When you riding, the pads will kick open a bit more .

OP
OP
whynot?
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank your all for your explanations. Never looked at the original brakes in tis way so I do not remember and the originals were changed yesterday after 22K miles. (changed all 6 pads) - so hope no brake changes again until 40K or so.

Top Bottom