Isopropyl Alcohol vs Methyl Hydrate Alcohol

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Methyl-hydrate alcohol is also known as methanol. It works fine for cleaning but the vapors from it are more toxic and less pungent that iso-alcohol so be careful with it.
Note: make sure to wear gloves (as well as having good ventilation) when using methy alcohol, also commonly called methanol. It can be absorbed through the skin and is quite toxic compared to isopropyl alcohol.
Thanks for that information. I guess that eliminates the methyl-hydrate for my intended purposes. I'll kidnap a Costco member and get some more isopropyl alcohol.

I use to get the 99.X laboratory grade stuff where I worked. That was much easier.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You'll want less polar solvent than alcohols for cleaning innards, just not enough cutting power.
I think that you meant to post this in the thread about decarbonizing products.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That's the best price I've seen. I'll have to find someone with a membership.

The last time I bought a 4L jug, admittedly several years ago, I think that it was something like 8 or 9 dollars. I still am curious as to why it has become so expensive, and why is it no longer in the hardware stores? Is there a alcohol shortage going on?
I firmly believe Covid drove the price up as the stuff is used in most hand sanitizers, both due to shortages and profit. For a while even the local distilleries & oil companies were making hand sanitizers to keep up with the need. It was also more profitable to make non-consumable alcohol, plus drinkable sales had declined. Like most things in this new world, the prices never went down and they still claim prices are up due to logistic and shortage backlog.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Most hand sanitizers use ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol, methyl carbanol, EtOH, or hooch!). Frequent use of isopropyl alcohol on skin can dry out (defat) the skin.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Most hand sanitizers use ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol, methyl carbanol, EtOH, or hooch!). Frequent use of isopropyl alcohol on skin can dry out (defat) the skin.
All true but it wouldn't surprise me that some people bought ISO to roll their own hand cleaner. That might account for a shortage in ISO. Before they discovered ivermectin.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm just going by the ingredient labels of all the stuff I've seen around here.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Most of the chemicals we used to use for cleaning and degreasing are toxic to some extent. It is a very good idea to wear disposable gloves and work outdoors (lots of ventilation) when you do these things. Used engine oil and sawdust are now classified as carcinogens. I remember watching mechanics change engine oil when I was a kid and the stuff coated their hands. Have you ever seen a wood worker wearing a dust mask? Wear the protective gear - it's cheap, widely available and not all that uncomfortable.

Top Bottom