it looks like I'm cheating on my ST...

Bike
ST1100
I love riding my ST1100, and already did two relatively long distance travels, and ST rocks on highways)
But during last ride I went off asphalt, and rode about about 100 km on tarmacs, gravel roads, sand sometimes. And I felt like I like it too... Now I want to ride offroad. Also I caught myself on watching test ride videos of Honda NX700, Yamaha Tenere 650 and 700, BMW GS 650... Something lightweight and robust enough not to worry about dropping it accidentally. How to stop doing that?

Last edited:

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Your ST1100 is a beauty and I don't blame you for being careful with it! The ST is a great tourer and commuter for me but smaller bikes are fun and easy to toss around on trails, unimproved roads, and in in-town traffic. I have several bikes for different riding styles and appreciate the different capabilities each one offers.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have always had two bikes in the garage. The ST ( I have an ST1300) is a keeper, but having a smaller, lighter bike for around town and shorter trips is a plus too. The ST is a bit too warm for really comfy riding in the summer, too, so the other bike ( currently an NC700X) is great for scratching the itch in the warmer months here. Add to that, despite the ST's pretty good mileage, the NC consistently returns over 70 MPG, and is easy to work on.
I am always impressed, though, when I jump back on the ST after riding the NC a while, at the smoothness, handling and overall comfort ( not to mention the power) of the ST1300.

Another member of the forum has mentioned that the correct number of bikes to own is governed by a precise scientific formula- N+1, where N is the number of bikes you own now. ( My wife refuses to believe the scientific validity of this formula though.)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Give in and get it! Anytime you ride on the two wheels, no matter the wheels, you make you and the world a happier place!
John

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
There is no perfect all around bike. There are bikes that do a good job at many things, but it's always at the expense of a bike that can do that thing better - but only do that thing.

Kind of like the small-sleek-supercar-minivan-pickup truck-convertable-drag racing-fuel sipping- compact SUV-camper combination vehicle.

If you want to do some off road stuff and not with the ST, then get something to do that.

Remember: eating soup with a fork is doable, but not ideal!

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I have all winter to suppress this urge)
but if it won't get away, it seems I'd have to buy some adventure bike too..

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I think a have strength enough to resist buying one more bike, but not sure about myself next spring...
Mrs. Fun has enough strength to keep me from buying bikes... but I don't recommend getting a Mrs. Alberto just for that purpose.

Bike
2005 st1300
STOC #
The ST is a awesome bike but my NC700x is fun to ride on the back roads and other forgotten placesinCollage_20201005_113953113.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
good solution) I think a have strength enough to resist buying one more bike, but not sure about myself next spring...
Check out the Suzuki VStrom - DL650. Much lighter, dual purpose and they are cheap. Like the ST's, however, in a few years the resale value will be low. If you buy it right (used) it might hold its value.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
If you like a bike that revs consider a Versys X300. 380 pounds, and keeps up easily on group rides with much larger bikes. 12,000 RPM redline, and it is easy to get there. I had mine up to 92 while riding flSToc last year. My heated gear crapped out, but not the fault of the bike. Cheap, even new. You WILL need to send the seat to somebody. I sent mine to Russell. I added crash bars for highway pegs. A great all around bike. Easy to load on a trailer and take anywhere. I try not to ride on gravel roads, but they say it excels at that. I sealed the rims so I wouldn't have to deal with tubes.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

Bike
2007 ST1300
I got a 650 V-Strom years ago and really like it when the road gets nasty it just goes and goes :)
I did the exact same thing. Bought a 2007 V-Strom 650 as my COVID-the-US-border-is-closed, gotta ride the plentiful gravel and dirt roads bike. Cheap too. Not going to sell the ST1300, but certainly love having both.

Reactions: Djc
Top Bottom