It's been 9 years...

It looks like the last time I posted here was over 9 years ago, but I am glad to see this community is still around. I had some recent problems and found a lot of answers just going through the old posts and articles.

My 2005 ST in Red, the fastest/bestest color of all, looked like this last year. (I don't really ride much anymore, I just basically use the ST to run errands and had about 18k on the clock)
2023 pic.jpg

Last month I needed to run an errand - less than 10 miles to the neighboring City. I hopped on the freeway and as I was going down my offramp, I noticed the bike was running pretty rough. (This was an elevated offramp and I needed to make a left turn to go across a bridge over the freeway). I stopped for a redlight at the intersection and had to increase the rpm's because it sounded like the engine was going to die out on me. As I am waiting for the light to change, I smell something burning, kind of a plastic smell, and I look around, but don't see anything. Then I look down by my foot and I see flames coming up the side of the bike from the area below the left foot peg!

I put the kickstand down and hopped off. I was surrounded by concrete and I did not have anything to put the fire out with. By this time, the fire is starting to burn my Russell Day Long seat, so the only thing I could think of doing was to start stripping things off the bike. (both saddle bags, the Hondaline trunks, empty out the fairing pockets, etc). Fortunately, an 18-wheeler stopped to assist and the driver had a fire extinguisher and was able to get the fire out. The fire department showed up about 5 minutes later, hosed everything down for good measures and then the ST was towed away... I had a pretty good idea it was going to be totaled- it was 18 years old and the main wiring harness was fried from the fire.

2024-01-30 14.08.00.jpg

I have full coverage insurance with Geico with a pretty low deductible - $250. So filed a claim and things started out pretty well. I used their web page for the claim, and the next day one of their people called me to take my statement, and told me that Geico waives the deductible with fires (good news). I also uploaded some photo's of the bike and I indicated that the main wiring harness looked to be about a $900 item just for the part and it does not look like it is available anymore. A couple of days later, I get an email indicating the bike is going to be totaled and this is where things start to go downhill with them, but I will save that for another post.

I started looking on Cycle Trader to try to figure out what my bike might be worth. I came across a 2012 ST that was about 4 hours away from me that looked exceptionally clean. I wasn't really in the market to buy a new motorcycle right then and was thinking perhaps I would buy something a little smaller this time, but that 2012 looked like too good of a deal to pass up, so I bought it.

Here is the 2012 once I got it home and by the way, the $15 rental fee (24 hours) from a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul is a great deal.

2024-02-18 14.38.33.jpg

Here is what it looks like today. I am going through everything but I am very pleased with the condition - it was very well maintained. (I just placed a $375 order with RonAyers.com, (almost half of that was to get back to OEM brakes all around) and she should be as good as new when I am done.

2024-03-05 17.44.25.jpg

The ST has some interesting upgrades - a 'Digital Guard Dawg' keyless ignition as well as these handlebar risers along with extensions for the brake and clutch lines. I have never seen that before and at this point I am not sure what to make of it? (I test rode the bike for about 15 minutes, getting up to freeway speeds.... and it didn't feel too bad)

Double stacked handlebar risers. Moto-CNC on the bottom and Heli Bars (which I had on my 05) on top

2024-03-04 20.39.08.jpg

Lastly, looking through some of the old threads, I kept coming across some things like 'SMC' and the search engine on this forum won't work looking for things like that (too short). Google has 'custom search engines' that you can setup to search a specific site or a group of sites that does a pretty good job. So I set one up to search this forum and it works pretty well. (now I know all about the SMC issues)

This link is to search ST-owners.com: (it's just a blank page with a search bar)
Programmable Search Engine (google.com)

This link will take you to their web page where you can set up your own searches:
Programmable Search Engine by Google

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice, you can add a wildcard to a short search so smc* will get some good results.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
It looks like the last time I posted here was over 9 years ago, but I am glad to see this community is still around. I had some recent problems and found a lot of answers just going through the old posts and articles.

My 2005 ST in Red, the fastest/bestest color of all, looked like this last year. (I don't really ride much anymore, I just basically use the ST to run errands and had about 18k on the clock)
2023 pic.jpg

Last month I needed to run an errand - less than 10 miles to the neighboring City. I hopped on the freeway and as I was going down my offramp, I noticed the bike was running pretty rough. (This was an elevated offramp and I needed to make a left turn to go across a bridge over the freeway). I stopped for a redlight at the intersection and had to increase the rpm's because it sounded like the engine was going to die out on me. As I am waiting for the light to change, I smell something burning, kind of a plastic smell, and I look around, but don't see anything. Then I look down by my foot and I see flames coming up the side of the bike from the area below the left foot peg!

I put the kickstand down and hopped off. I was surrounded by concrete and I did not have anything to put the fire out with. By this time, the fire is starting to burn my Russell Day Long seat, so the only thing I could think of doing was to start stripping things off the bike. (both saddle bags, the Hondaline trunks, empty out the fairing pockets, etc). Fortunately, an 18-wheeler stopped to assist and the driver had a fire extinguisher and was able to get the fire out. The fire department showed up about 5 minutes later, hosed everything down for good measures and then the ST was towed away... I had a pretty good idea it was going to be totaled- it was 18 years old and the main wiring harness was fried from the fire.

2024-01-30 14.08.00.jpg

I have full coverage insurance with Geico with a pretty low deductible - $250. So filed a claim and things started out pretty well. I used their web page for the claim, and the next day one of their people called me to take my statement, and told me that Geico waives the deductible with fires (good news). I also uploaded some photo's of the bike and I indicated that the main wiring harness looked to be about a $900 item just for the part and it does not look like it is available anymore. A couple of days later, I get an email indicating the bike is going to be totaled and this is where things start to go downhill with them, but I will save that for another post.

I started looking on Cycle Trader to try to figure out what my bike might be worth. I came across a 2012 ST that was about 4 hours away from me that looked exceptionally clean. I wasn't really in the market to buy a new motorcycle right then and was thinking perhaps I would buy something a little smaller this time, but that 2012 looked like too good of a deal to pass up, so I bought it.

Here is the 2012 once I got it home and by the way, the $15 rental fee (24 hours) from a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul is a great deal.

2024-02-18 14.38.33.jpg

Here is what it looks like today. I am going through everything but I am very pleased with the condition - it was very well maintained. (I just placed a $375 order with RonAyers.com, (almost half of that was to get back to OEM brakes all around) and she should be as good as new when I am done.

2024-03-05 17.44.25.jpg

The ST has some interesting upgrades - a 'Digital Guard Dawg' keyless ignition as well as these handlebar risers along with extensions for the brake and clutch lines. I have never seen that before and at this point I am not sure what to make of it? (I test rode the bike for about 15 minutes, getting up to freeway speeds.... and it didn't feel too bad)

Double stacked handlebar risers. Moto-CNC on the bottom and Heli Bars (which I had on my 05) on top

2024-03-04 20.39.08.jpg

Lastly, looking through some of the old threads, I kept coming across some things like 'SMC' and the search engine on this forum won't work looking for things like that (too short). Google has 'custom search engines' that you can setup to search a specific site or a group of sites that does a pretty good job. So I set one up to search this forum and it works pretty well. (now I know all about the SMC issues)

This link is to search ST-owners.com: (it's just a blank page with a search bar)
Programmable Search Engine (google.com)

This link will take you to their web page where you can set up your own searches:
Programmable Search Engine by Google
Did you notify any gas smell when starting the bike?
I would guess the gas hose going to the lower tank was cracked and maybe never replaced. I assume that the fuses would have done there job if it was only a wiring issue.
I also have a 2005 and I have replaced the hose going to the lower tank twice in 80K. The rubber is under high stress every time you lift the upper tank for whatever reason.
Good luck with your beautiful 2012 :)

OP
OP
Thanks

I thought about that hose while waiting for the tow truck to get there. I opened the gas cap to check, and the tank was still almost full. (ordered a new one for the 2102 to be on the safe side)

Oh - Geico was only going to give me $30 for the Hondaline top box, so even though it is not the right color, I kept it

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Ugh, man that sucks. But nice new bike! Geico got me twice, attempted to use no lube, and required lawyers to straighten them out. Crooked is an understatement. I would stomp any gecko I see, just in case its that little b*stard from the company....

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Welcome back, and wow, it's TOTALY naked in that one pic! The mods might ban that post! :rofl1:

OP
OP
Ugh, man that sucks. But nice new bike! Geico got me twice, attempted to use no lube, and required lawyers to straighten them out. Crooked is an understatement. I would stomp any gecko I see, just in case its that little b*stard from the company....
I am beginning to feel the same way. I made a complaint to the California Department of Insurance and suddenly the value of my totaled motorcycle jumped up $1,600 more - which was in line where I thought it should be in the first place

Welcome back, and wow, it's TOTALY naked in that one pic! The mods might ban that post! :rofl1:
Good thing Mellow has a sense of humor!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I did not know about the wildcard either, but if you were to search for Secondary Master Cylinder you get all kinds of hits.

Now I'm going to try that wildcard on all sorts of other forums that I occasionally visit.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What is a "wildcard" Joe?? Thanks.
* is a wildcard so in a database search the query will look for smc and any characters after it including a space. Most forums have a min search length of 4 because so many common words are 3 characters... for, the, and, etc... so it makes searches take longer and bring back irrelevant results.

The * wildcard can work better when searching for things like EMT, SMC, ABS, etc...

So, SMC* will bring back 'SMC ' but also 'SMC,' and 'SMCABCDEFG'.

Top Bottom