It's Spark Plug Thread Repair Time!

STOC #
Tonight I performed surgery on the GS850.

The heli-coil that was put into cylinder 3 before I bought the bike came out the other weekend, so I bought one of these and installed it tonight

http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Plug-1-25-Spark-Plug-Repair/dp/B0025PMJHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1282277418&sr=8-1 <<-- Perma-Plug M14 X 1.25 Spark Plug Hole Repair Kit

Pretty painless... and yes, I am lazy, and yes, I did leave the head on the bike. I put #3 at bdc and then coated the tap with axle grease and went after it, backing it out to clean and reapply fresh grease after every few turns. It worked beautifully, and I was done in about 30 minutes. There was one small piece of aluminum lying on top of the piston when I got finished, which was easily picked up by touching it with a screwdriver. I had the shopvac and a length of tubing on standby to chase wayward chips out of the cylinder, but turns out I didn't even need it.

I then put some Loctite red on the outside of the sleeve, some anti-seize on the spark plug threads, and installed the sleve. After hitting the expander a few times with a hammer, I threaded in the spark plug. It's all back together and torqued down now, and the bike fires up just like it did before.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have two GS850's and a 76 GS750 and did have a GS1100GK - Great bikes - My son took on of the GS850's with him to college this year. We ride together all the time. I love my ST1100 but the old GS Suzuki's were great bikes.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
I'd have to agree with you gents :) The GS series is pretty stout. Most all of them were built like a tank and are fairly reliable, even when you consider their age now. The 850 was a good reintroduction to riding for me, and has been a good 'first' road bike. I still take it out and run it down some of the old two lane county roads around here a couple of times a month... there's just something about the sound of that inline 4 all wound up :D

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My first touring bike was a new 1977 GS750 set up with a Vetter fairing and saddle bags and a cb radio. Those were the days !!!!!

Top Bottom