OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Nice, before pics?
I didn't take any before pics. When I got the bike the previous owner had wrapped the pipes with the fiberglass mat and painted it black. When I removed the wrap it left the imprint of the wrap from front to rear. The Z Technic muffler had much road grime on the collector especially so took it all to Jet Hot where they blast it with some sort of shells and then put their ceramic coating on it. Looks much better than before. They tell me the header won't turn blue like stock. We shall see.

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Actually I did find a before pic. Not great but you can see the black wrap on the left header pipe. Don't ever do this. The residue would eventually come off with green Scotchbrite with enough patience that I don't have.

23.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Some here have had ST pipes coated to ease the heat issue, hopefully it will last, has to extend the life if nothing else.

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I just thought it made the bike look nicer. Not like I'm going to be taking any extended trips on this bike. Maybe 60 miles out to the local weekend gathering spot occasionally. Just another 2 wheeled money pit.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Actually I did find a before pic. Not great but you can see the black wrap on the left header pipe. Don't ever do this. The residue would eventually come off with green Scotchbrite with enough patience that I don't have.
A friend of mine once showed me what I would describe as a belt of scotchbrite that fit a standard 4 x 24" belt sander. He was a steel fabricator and gunsmith and used it before polishing something he made. One of those would make short work of cleaning the grunge off an exhaust system. Tight bends might be a problem though, and call for a die grinder with similar pads.

Top Bottom