Jumping Battery

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You can? I need a key to unlock and relock the pannier into place. Unless I'm missing a trick.
Agree, same issue with the ST1100. You could leave the clasp closed but not locked, but you risk loosing the bag. I got away with it (unintentionally) a couple of times but would never do it on purpose.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bump starting is an obvious option under favorable circumstances. Often that's not how life rolls. It's not a problem to remove the 1300's seat then remove three screws remove the side cover and affix huge clamps to the smallish battery terminals then start the bike and reverse the process.

But with a charging point under the seat I could remove the seat then remove the jump starter and start the bike and reverse the process in the time it takes to remove and replace the three screws and side panel alone. And I don't need the 5mm Allen. Even if somebody thought they could do the standard process faster – it's just one less thing I have to do. And really that's the only important thing here. :D So that's on the ToDo list.

The ultimate benefit of installing a charging point making the process über convenient is that you'll never have a dead battery again so no opportunity to use your new kit.

Jump starters are fairly small and rated in "peak Amps" and usually offer an indication of upper limit of vehicle they'll start based on engine size and whether gas or diesel. A pair of jumper cables and connectors could probably be fashioned to take up slightly less room than a motorcycle-suitable jump charger but I'd wager 10ga cable or smaller would be needed. A jump starter's convenience (not needing another donor) and utility (charging a phone or tablet or comm unit) outweighs the slight space penalty over cables INMSHO.

But whatever works best for whomever is the way to roll so it's good to have choices.

Top Bottom