just an off beat idea about cruise controler flashing led

now that the electronic cruise control is installed on my bike, it's occured to me that it would be nice to have the flashing led signal outside of the controler and maybe in a inconspicuous spot that i wouldn't see in normal day to day motorcycle riding, but could be viewed easyly,without having to take half the plastics off to see(you know,to see if it's at least reciving control inputs- as well as being powered) is there a fiber optic cable that's available to route this light from the control up to ,say a bezel on the coweling? for the connection at the led i think i could fab something that would hold the reciving end close to the ome led and still maintain the w/p seal around the controler housing. the cruise control has yet to be tested, and if i have to go inside again, i'm thinking that this would be a good idea...any ideas or thoughts along these lines?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don't know how bright it would be but yeah plastic fiber would channel the light.
You'd drill into the led plastic (assuming it's a 5mm leaded LED and not surface mount) then epoxy the clean cut end of the fiber in the hole.

This stuff for example LINK

There's also acrylic light pipe for short runs or angles.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add another LED to the controller circuit though?

OP
OP
probably would be easyer to do that. but i'm affraid that the electronics couldn't support a remote led. ( also that my skills at tieing into the existing circut board, might not be up to snuff) also was thinking that a remote led would have to be covered when not actually being used to trouble shoot the unit. where as the optic conduit could be left to "wink" away and even passing motorists wouldn't tune into the lower light level.

Top Bottom