K & N Oil Filter Welded Nut Leak

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A friend of mine sent me the below picture of a K & N oil filter that is leaking at the welded nut seam. I know that this is not a new issue and that K & N has previously issued a recall for this very problem.

He contacted K & N. They replied to him that this oil filter was not included in the recall. They also stated that the recall did not affect any filters manufactured after 2016. This filter was put on this engine at the most recent oil change. The leak in the picture was after idling the engine for a few minutes only.

The possibility exists that this problem has resurfaced.

I didn't bother to ask what part number K & N oil filter it was because the message is simple;
If you are using a K & N oil filter that employs a nut welded on to the end cap, keep an eye on it.

Attachments

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have had this happen on both automotive K&N filters as well as K&N Motorcycle filters. On one occasion the leaking filter oiled up my rear tire as well as my boot and pant leg. I am lucky I did not fall. I will not use K&N filters anymore.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
glad I saw this post as I was planning an oil change with a K&N oil filter. Me thinks I'll pass on the K&N

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
On one occasion the leaking filter oiled up my rear tire ......
That's what happened with this one- the rear tire was oil coated. The rider was lucky the rear end didn't slide out on him.

What you see in the picture was after cleaning everything up and idling the engine only for a few minutes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Realistically, given how many oil filters are manufactured, and where they are shipped, it is very probable not all of the defective filters were sent back, and some are still in the supply chain. And, as you pointed out, Andrew, the defect may have returned.

Since the consequences of a well lubed rear wheel are nasty, and it's hard to keep an eye on the filter while tooling along, it's probably wiser to avoid these filters.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As I’ve said before, I have seen several K&N oil filters leak.
The company is not doing recalls, and it seems they are avoiding admitting the problem is as bad as it really is.
I urge anyone who has one on their bike to replace them with something else.
Your friend was lucky he found it before he was on a trip somewhere.

Bike
R1200rt
I'm not a K&N filter fan either, but while not exactly clearly stated on the box, one should not use that nut to install the filter and risk compromising those projection welds. The nut is there only for removal. Meanwhile, there's plenty of good filters out there...........
Who reads directions ? :rofl1: like tighten oil filter 3/4 turn after contact not as tight as you can get it and then some just to be sure it does't come loose.:thumb:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The leaks are caused during the welding process of the nut when the outer body of the filter is burned through. It may be just incorrect settings on the welding robot or some kind of setup issue at the factory. It must be a fairly sensitive setup to weld that nut on such thin material without burning through the housing.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Has anyone ever seen this with the HifloFiltro RC oil filters?
Yes, that's what I use.
I try to use the end nut when "removing" the filter only . Tighten by hand has always worked for me.
These filters are harder to acces so I "may" have used the nut portion to tighten another 3/4 turn after contact.... :)

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use HifloFiltro filters on my bike but not the ones with the nut welded on them. No issues so far. They also make filters for BMW (some are the same model number as mine... HF164). Again, without the nut though some model numbers may have it.
I've often read that the nut is never to be used to install the filter, only remove it, for exactly this issue. And also that is the recommendation of K&N as well. I can also see how the assembly process could result in a bad weld allowing a leaky filter.

I prefer to use a cap style filter wrench anyway. No worries about bad welds and it's easy to use my ratchet socket handle with it.

Top Bottom