K1600GT # 993 is home

My pre-ordered GT arrived recently and much earlier than anticipated. Those that have followed some of my posts know that I had a 2010 K13GT, which I was very happy with, and wasn't necessarily sold on a K16GT.

The deal I had with my dealer was that I had to rest ride the K16GT before deciding. Having spent time on the K1600GTL, I was impressed with many aspects of the bike, but as a package I liked my K13GT slightly better.

After a very skeptical test ride on my new K16GT, I was quickly sold. To me the K16GT is the sum of all of it's parts.

The riding position is RT(ish) but with more legroom. It's the first sport-touring bike I have owned that does not compell me to want to add risers, etc. So far I have managed a 500 mile day and I was really impressed with the level of comfort. Even the stock seat is passable, but will most likely be sent to Russell.

The GT has an edgier exhaust note, and more aggressive ECU mapping, which again, seem to suit the inherant character of this platform. I would be doing everyone a disservice if I did not call attention to what a remarkable engine the GT has. Ultra smooth, very refined feeling, and willing to be lugged or revved. It really is a "no compromises" engine, and provides stellar performance and feel, while being very charasmatic at the same time. Don't believe me?....take this bike through the gears and listen to it howl at full song.

What really strikes me about this bike is that it NEVER feels stressed. Handling, acceleration, high speed cruising, all feels very effortless. In particular the steering is so remarkably light that it inspires a level of confidence going into turns that could almost be dangerous. It's as if I cannot get this bike into a corner too fast. Whenver I feel I have gotten in too hot, the bike almost intuitively and with ease allows a mid corner correction with amazing stability.

My GT came fully loaded, and I am quickly getting acclimated to the features. I do wish the ESA were on a seperate switch like my K13GT, but when roads get technical I set and leave the menu on suspension. Otherwise, I find all of the features very useful and easy to use. The stereo speakers could be better, but then again I have bluetooth.

I've had several people come up to me and ask about this bike already, it's a bit odd to me, as I have never owned a bike like this that has drawn this amount of attention. Some know what it is, while others want to compliment the looks of the bike. Regardless, it's getting to a point where it's a bit tedious. I'm hoping a year from now that goes away.

My conclusion is that I made the right choice. I was tempted to hold out for the new Triumph Trophy sport-touring model. The K16GT is really a remarkable bike, and BMW has set the bar much higher.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Enjoy the new rig, Judge...sounds like you already are.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
WOW! Good to hear this review.. Glad you are happy. This is one of the reasons I have not taken a test ride!!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Now that sounds like a great machine! Enjoy and keep us posted on your likes and dislikes!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats!... We need pics and please let us know how you like it after a few miles... I'm thinking, you'll just like it more and more, pretty impressive bike.

Bike
99 ST1100
The K16GT is really a remarkable bike, and BMW has set the bar much higher.
Sure sounds like it!

Regardless, it's getting to a point where it's a bit tedious. I'm hoping a year from now that goes away.
If it gets too tiresome, let me know. Maybe a year from now I'll be able to afford a Used K1600GT:D

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Judge, assuming you park that new Beemer for long enough, I wonder if you'd do me a favor. I'm curious how much the GT's panniers way empty, each by themselves. BMW's website quotes the bike's weight without the panniers installed, which is curious since they appear to be standard equipment. I called several BMW dealers and got nowhere (either no bike available or no interest in helping) and an email to BMW's customer service people has gone unanswered more than a week. No rush, but if you have time and a scale....

Thanks.

STOC #
Judge, assuming you park that new Beemer for long enough, I wonder if you'd do me a favor. I'm curious how much the GT's panniers way empty, each by themselves. BMW's website quotes the bike's weight without the panniers installed, which is curious since they appear to be standard equipment. I called several BMW dealers and got nowhere (either no bike available or no interest in helping) and an email to BMW's customer service people has gone unanswered more than a week. No rush, but if you have time and a scale....

Thanks.
Bones, if they are similar to my RT's side cases, then they weigh a bit more than the single wall ST1300's. I think you are looking at 10-15 pounds per side on the RT (empty). The GT looks like it weighs more than the RT's.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bones, if they are similar to my RT's side cases, then they weigh a bit more than the single wall ST1300's. I think you are looking at 10-15 pounds per side on the RT (empty). The GT looks like it weighs more than the RT's.
Thanks, Chris. Wonder why they're not included in the road-ready weight? 25 pounds is not that much in the grand scheme of things, I suppose, especially when you consider the weight difference among individual riders. I personally offer a substantial weight savings compared to some of my less boney, better insulated moto buddies...kind of makes me high performance just sitting there! ;-)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had several people come up to me and ask about this bike already, it's a bit odd to me, as I have never owned a bike like this that has drawn this amount of attention. Some know what it is, while others want to compliment the looks of the bike. Regardless, it's getting to a point where it's a bit tedious. I'm hoping a year from now that goes away.
What a drag that must be. Let's hope you are right.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I personally offer a substantial weight savings compared to some of my less boney, better insulated moto buddies...kind of makes me high performance just sitting there!
I resemble that remark!;)

Judge,

Really glad you 'took one for the team' and bought this bike. I only wish I had your wallet! It's one beautiful motorcycle, and you're one lucky man. Keep us updated on your impressions?

Cheers!

Great bike Judge!! I may just do the same thing once I'm tired of The K1300. Won't happen tomorrow.
The cases weigh about 15# each on the K1300. Like the ST1300, the K-bike handles better without the bags.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oddly enough, the BMW cases weigh about twice what the Honda's weigh which is a strange turn. ST1300's weigh about 15 lbs as a pair.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
The magazines are reporting MSRP price ranges, but I'd like to know how much your bike cost out-the-door.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
...and some pictures maybe? What do you like best so far other than the engine? Can you do a comparison to the st some time? Thanks.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
It's great to hear someone this happy with a bike purchase. I hope you enjoy many happy miles...

OP
OP
Judge
...and some pictures maybe? What do you like best so far other than the engine? Can you do a comparison to the st some time? Thanks.
I will get some pictures up soon.

As for a comparison between engines, obviouisly a V4 and an I6 have a different feel and charisma.

The ST engine is commendably smooth with a nice flat power curve. What I notice with the is that it is smoother, and has a very refined feel and sound to it. It never feels stressed or bothered by what RPM it is operating in. For example, with 129 ft-lbs of torque the I6 never complains about being lugged around, and you're never really in the "wrong gear". However, it absolutely sings like an F1 formula car when you spin the rpm's up, and backs it up with some relatively impressive acceleration.

Combine all of these characteristics, and the I6 engine just feels and behaves in a regal and supreme manor.

To put it another way, I never had any complaints about the V4 in my ST, but it never left me totally amazed in the way the K16GT does. Everytime I ride this bike I honestly have moments where I just say "wow!" out load.

Top Bottom