K1600GTL Video from Jay

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
After watching the Leno clip, I'd be amazed if this bike wasn't NORTH of $26k. I'd love to have one.. probably will only get one once it is 12 years old (sigh). Lucky ME, I have an St1300 that'll easily last until then!:eek::

Byron

STOC #
Took a brief look at the web site and found out that a lot of the features are optional like the adaptive headlight which you figure should be standard. It looks like it has a lot of nice touches but too rich for me.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Some neat features. Central locking is cool and the adaptive headlight looks like it would be a welcome addition on a dark twisty road.

I wonder about the hand wheel on the left bar that lets the rider cycle through various menus and watch the display instead of the road. Sometimes technology gives us more choices than we really need. Guess I'll withhold judgment until I understand what it really does.

Jay Leno's reviews are always entertaining and informative. Am I the only one who found this particular video sounding more like a BMW ad than I'd have expected? Maybe it's because the BMW exec was there. No matter...I loved Jay's turkey leg crack!

I'm not smitten with many BMW designs and the new GT and GT-L aren't making me drool over their beauty either (your eye may behold differently), but I look forward to seeing one in person and taking one for a ride. Also looking forward to whatever Honda has up its sleeve...or to finding out Honda's shirt is sleeveless.

Some neat features. Central locking is cool and the adaptive headlight looks like it would be a welcome addition on a dark twisty road.

I wonder about the hand wheel on the left bar that lets the rider cycle through various menus and watch the display instead of the road. Sometimes technology gives us more choices than we really need. Guess I'll withhold judgment until I understand what it really does.

Jay Leno's reviews are always entertaining and informative. Am I the only one who found this particular video sounding more like a BMW ad than I'd have expected? Maybe it's because the BMW exec was there. No matter...I loved Jay's turkey leg crack!

I'm not smitten with many BMW designs and the new GT and GT-L aren't making me drool over their beauty either (your eye may behold differently), but I look forward to seeing one in person and taking one for a ride. Also looking forward to whatever Honda has up its sleeve...or to finding out Honda's shirt is sleeveless.
The control wheel is actually quite intuitive to use. I rarely use the radio, unless I am cranking out interstate and want to catch a game. So I'm not surfing the dial, which is distracting in a car much less a bike.

Mainly I use the wheel for cruising through my i-pod or USB. In which case my eyes never leave the road. It sure beats fumbling around for buttons.

Styling wise, I don't think any ST bike is the second coming of a vintage Triumph or Ducati. They all look like appliances to me.

RCS

I like the bike, but I've got to say without a support network like ST-Owners I wouldn't purchase a BMW. It is that simple for me.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
29" seat height! :drool1: This may be my next bike for that alone! Can't wait to read a full review, but gotta be in the $20's :(

Bike
BMW K1600GT
Once BMW can prove they can build a premium bike that will go 50-70K + miles with the reliability of a Honda, I will have one in the garage. I came danger close to buying a K1300GT on three occasions, but continued to balk due to the quality control issues. I would rather ride than spend the day a BMW dealer socializing. If their bikes were built so well, they would offer extended factory warranties like other manufacturers do. Just like the K1300GT, I love the bike, but I want the reliability as well. Is this too much to ask?

STOC #
Once BMW can prove they can build a premium bike that will go 50-70K + miles with the reliability of a Honda, I will have one in the garage.
Then ride on down to your nearest BMW dealer and pick up an RT and ride it home and park it your garage. It is really that easy. My 06 RT has just over 50,000 miles in 3 1/2 years of day in, day out riding and has been as reliable as my ST1300 was. In fact, more reliable. So, go for it.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I enjoyed it, although it really didn't tell us anything we didn't know. The 29" seat height is a negative from where I sit, but I realize that differently legged folks bring various perspectives to that issue. It did sound like Leno was pretty thoroughly briefed beforehand. I'm wondering though whether the I-Drive question was his (I wouldn't be surprised if it was), or if it was tossed in their in order to address the concern that the gadget would be as fubar in execution as the I-Drive was.

Once BMW can prove they can build a premium bike that will go 50-70K + miles with the reliability of a Honda, I will have one in the garage. I came danger close to buying a K1300GT on three occasions, but continued to balk due to the quality control issues. I would rather ride than spend the day a BMW dealer socializing. If their bikes were built so well, they would offer extended factory warranties like other manufacturers do. Just like the K1300GT, I love the bike, but I want the reliability as well. Is this too much to ask?

I guess the overwhelming majority (over 95%) of us poor BMW owners that do not experience any major problems are a fluke?

I don't get the logic. Buy a less capable bike because there is a very small percentage of bikes that have had a major problem? If you like the ST better there is no arguing that, but otherwise that's some odd logic if you ask me.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I wonder if the top Box on the GTL quickly pops off or is it mounted permanently like the LT or Gold Wing.
I would guess that with the "central locking" capability of the bag locks, that it is permanently mounted--just like the centrally-locking capability of the bags and trunk on my GL. But, still just a guess on my part.

I'm not in the market for a new "big" bike, but I like the looks of the GT model.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
First off, I do like it and can drool a little. Although very slick, the luxury GTL model was presented. The GT doesn't have a top box, and some of those "features" are really "special equipment" meaning optional extras. I can't help but think of the expense of troubleshooting and repairing any of those gadgety things that might go wrong. You'd be handcuffed to the dealer's repair shop and likely couldn't fix much on your own... that alone makes me shy away from Beemers. The price.... nobody's saying, but we'll find out at this year's bike shows. My guess is the cheaper GT is still a lot more than I'd want to pay. Their website marketing is quite vague on the hard specifications, just a teaser.... wonder what we'll think once all that comes known.

I don't mind if they try to sell an expensive bike with slick features. It might just force Honda and others to raise the bar on things like integrated lighting that makes us more visible or safer.

RCS

Then ride on down to your nearest BMW dealer and pick up an RT and ride it home and park it your garage. It is really that easy. My 06 RT has just over 50,000 miles in 3 1/2 years of day in, day out riding and has been as reliable as my ST1300 was. In fact, more reliable. So, go for it.
I'd jump all over this bike if I felt I could do my own maintenance - everything that would need to be done in the first 150,000 miles except an engine rebuild - and not have to rely on a BMW dealer.

Do you and others do their own maintenance?

(I'm comfortable doing pretty much everything regarding regular maintenance and most all repairs on my ST1300 using the Service Manual and support network on this website).

P.S. I consider the 6 cylinder BMW interesting only because of the novelty of 6 cylinders in a ST frame. I would consider it a sideways move from a Honda ST1300 - not a step down or up.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
Judge,

Good for you that you have experienced no problems. I never stated that I was going to buy a less capable bike. I have the means to purchase whatever bike I want. That is not the issue. I actually love the BMW, I have owned several BMW vehicles over the years. I do however question their reliability, based on speaking with owners waiting for service at BMW dealerships within my area. All had various problems of one type or another, but all loved their bikes. In three cases the stalling issue almost caused an accident. One owner with a K1200GT had a cam failure and was arguing with the dealership because BMW would not cover the repair under warranty. In various websites like K-Bikes, there seems to a trend, however small it is, with drive failures and other items. Even dealerships have told me that BMW can be hard to deal with and that I should buy a third party warranty. My current ST1300 has me very spoiled. In 50K+ miles, it has never failed once. It does not have the high speed wobble, nor a heat issue, and the thermostat has never stuck. But my Honda is getting older and I'm looking for the replacement. BMW is on the short list. When I'm not fighting Taliban, I take leave just to ride the country and enjoy. The lack of BMW dealers in CONUS is a concern to me. I just don't want to be out in the desert somewhere and have a failure because of some poorly designed switch or whatever. While neither one of us actually knows the percentage of failures, I still question reliability. That is not flawed logic, that's a simple opinion. I think the BMW is still an excellent bike, so don't get your panties twisted over it.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
There is always something to ignite the BMW/Honda debate. I have owned both makes, and love them both. When I decided on the ST over the RT, it was mainly due to my experiences with the local BMW dealership. After my disappointment with Honda over the thermostat-warranty issue, I can't say that I wouldn't go for the Beemer if I were to be looking for a replacement bike. The six cylinder GT is beautiful, but seems to be more like an ST on steroids. I would probably go for the RT in consideration of expense and weight. All things being considered though, I am perfectly happy with my ST, and if I want the boxer experience, I can roll out my old R75. After that, there is no more room in the garage.

Top Bottom