Keeping the windscreen scratch free?

Bike
Honda ST1100 (2001)
Still getting used to my ST1100, but after having seen a couple of others around, I've realized mine has an aftermarket screen which is much taller than the usual. Was probably done by the previous owner who was a good 8 inches taller than me. Unfortunately for me, the height of the screen means I'm looking through it when riding, and the slightest scratches reduce visibility (especially at night, with rain, etc). It's not bad right now, but I'm sure it'll get worse if I don't take care of it.

I wash it regularly with dilute soapy water (handwash, so it's gentle) and wipe side to side with a microfiber cloth, then wipe dry with another microfiber cloth. Is that good enough? Or is there something better I can do to keep it scratch free?

If it's too much trouble I'm considering switching to the stock screen so that I can look over it instead of through it - but I rather like this screen if I can live with it.

People have trimmed aftermarket screens to their liking with great success. If you have any bugs remnants or anything that doesn't wash off with the light application of warm water on a cloth (terry cloth towel is my preference) you should be soaking the screen for several minutes under a wet paper towel laid on the screen. This seems to lift the most stubborn stuff off with the slightest wipe.

An application of Pledge (Lemon Pledge is said to attract bugs) will help keep remains removal easy.

I don't know if there's anything to treat minor scratches. I'm sure something like jewelers rouge or other fine buffing compound would help but they bring their own caveats. I think the best bet is tuning your current screen to allow you to see easily see over it when you want to.

Another thing you can do easily and I have done this a couple of times. Decide where the very top of the windshield ought to be. Then cover that area and about 6 inches below that with masking tape. Then carefully measure exactly where you want to cut it off. Using a Dremel tool to cut with makes this very easy to do. After the cut, remove the masking tape and with a fine tooth file, dress up the edge and you're done. There is a product used by the US Air Force on their planes that works very well. The trade name is MAAS . Ace hardware has it and others as well. It easily takes off small scratches on a windshield or even paint.

I damaged a windscreen on my 650 this spring, with road rash. I managed to clean it up by first scraping it with a blade, 250 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, 1200 grit, and using one of the products sold for repairing plastic headlight covers. the result was quite satisfactory.

With your screen scratches, you could start with the headlight polishing product. Test in a inconspicuous place first.

I have used pledge on my windscreens for many years. The spray softens bug residue and makes it easier to remove the next layer. It also has the same refractive index as the plastic of the windscreen and masks some of the smaller scratches.
Jim

A scratch remover for plastics is Novus #2, which you might find at your local bike shop or on line. An 8 oz one will last you for years. Finer than automotive compounds so you have to use a little elbow grease. There is a #3 for heavy stuff but I'd just use automotive compound if that were the case. Novus #1 has no abrasives and is a good finishing polish for plastics and is not waxy (use it on face shields too).

The windscreen on my 1100 came with lots of little scratches. I used plastic polish and a microfiber cloth and polished it. ALL the tiny, sunlight refracting scratches and most larger ones came out. It's no longer a distraction. Since the screen isn't adjustable, I got a taller screen for cold/wet weather and polished it up also. Short one is for hot weather. Plastx is probably has the most available polish. Several medium/fine polishes are great as well for removing larger scratches. Deep scratches...learn to live with it.

I use Rainx for glass every once in a while after cleaning the windscreen. It helps bugs and road grime not stick too bad and can be easily washed off. All the tips above are pretty good, my favorite is using a damp paper towel and letting it sit for a few minutes. You can't make the screen bigger after you cut it, so be sure about what you are doing there.

On a side note, I see a silver Karizma in your picture. I always wanted one but could never buy one. Pretty cool single cylinder. The design was highly inspired by the 6th Gen VFR I feel.

Researching “MAAS”...

Motorcycle application link
Note the reference to “MAAS polishing creme” and acrylics (windscreens)

1569511245390.jpeg

They have many products, which to get for windshield applications?
Motorcycle products
Actually says “plastic windshields and helmets”

So, the right one seems to be “MAAS Liquid Metal Polish”
About $13 on Amazon
check my homework

Last edited:
I've been using MAAS for several years. In my opinion, there is no equal. Works good on paint as well as other stuff. I used to have a Mercedes Benz SL500. I got it cheap because it had water spots on the paint. The two shops I took it to told me it was hopeless to get them out. So I got out my MAAS and it did take me a few days to finish the job but when I did there was no sign of any water spots on that car. Just a beautiful diamond black finish. It works very well on helmets ,paint and plastic surfaces.

Not sure the type of plastic the windshield of the 1100 is made of, but the stock 1300 windshield is "polycarbonate" . The windshield has a protective coating on it which can be rubbed through causing a very distinct area, easily seen, just like the flaking off of the clearcoat on a deteriorating paint job on a car. Don't ask how I know . I purchased an after market shorty "acrylic" one which can be sanded and polished successfully. I have had great success maintaining both plastic types with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar after gently cleaning and polishing the windshield.

I wouldn't want to look through the screen personally but with regards cleaning it Mr Sheen all purpose is all that is needed. Spray it on thick, leave for 5 minutes then polish off.
If you're on the road, shaving foam and toilet tissue works well.
The screen below had 650 miles worth of Scottish midges, butterflies, wood wasps and bird crap on about ten minutes ago. Mr Sheen to the rescue.
Upt'North.
20190926_141123.jpg20190926_143006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom