Kenwood Radios

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Sink and I just installed the IMC MIT-100 intercom system. Was thinking of getting Kenwood two way radio for them. Anyone have any input on what is the best way to go? If Kenwood is good, which model is better for use on our ST's.

If there are other good brands, please let me know.

Thanks

Louie Louie

Kenwood

Cant go wrong w/ the Kenwood. I have Model Free Talk XL (Military grade!) Highly recommended.

Louie

Bora20

...watching & learning...
STOC #
I was looking at the Kenwood TH-F6A HAM radio as it will receive 0-1300MHz. So no need for a seperate FM radio.

Plus, you can speak with truckers in Canada as they use VHF, not CB.

Bora20

STOC #
uncal said:
Hey Dan! I remember you from Benzworld! Kamloops rang a bell!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/members/bora20.html

Small world, huh? ;)

Did you get rid of your ML? I still have mine - got almost 250k miles on it now.
Yah, I have the same handle for every forum I go to. I traded the ML on an E320 4Matic Wagon. Better handling, fuel economy, and comfort.

I would love to have a new ML320CDI, but it might be a while before we see that.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Bora20 said:
I was looking at the Kenwood TH-F6A HAM radio as it will receive 0-1300MHz. So no need for a seperate FM radio.

Plus, you can speak with truckers in Canada as they use VHF, not CB.

What VHF frequencies do the Canadian truckers use?

Ray

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Kenwood or Icom radios, you can't go wrong with either. Both are first class radios and will be good for bike to bike talking or whatever.

All you have to remember is that whichever one you go for, make sure you have the correct power leads for the radio to run them from the bike system.

TTFN

Bora20

STOC #
nm6r said:
What VHF frequencies do the Canadian truckers use?

Ray
I am not certain, but I think it is in the 150MHz~175MHz range. I was going to ask my local radio shop when I go look at radios.

If you open up the HAM radio (remove 1 diode and resistor), you can transmit on more frequencies than the standard, which is good if you decide to go on forestry roads as you have to call out your mileage location on the specified frequency.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Are you talking about a HAM setup or FRS/GMRS?

The Kenwood FRS/GMRS ones that autocom sells do not have an adaptor for the Kenwoods but if you want an FRS/GMRS then Midland, Cobra, or Audiovox.

I'm guessing you're talking about a HAM setup though.

Curt

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
crazykz said:

The Kenwood FRS/GMRS ones that autocom sells do not have an adaptor for the Kenwoods but if you want an FRS/GMRS then Midland, Cobra, or Audiovox.

Curt
We need some good radio's for bike to bike com with the MIT-100. The adaptors that came with the com system don't fit into the kenwood radios. The prongs are too close together. Is there an adaptor so these will work? We tried the midland radios but they don't have much range... like NONE!

OP
OP

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
crazykz said:

Curt
No, this is for FRS/GMRS.
But I discovered that the adapter provided by the IMC MIT-100 does not fit the KENWOOD.

Now I am trying to figure out if there is FIX for this? If not, then I must use the choices you listed above. Of those choices of radios, which is the best?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have personal issues with Kenwood that probably should not bleed over to their GMRS radios but, it does. ... I want something that doesn't look like a soccer mom should be using it and has more MIL spec or business class ratings.
Are those two related? I ask because I've owned a bunch of Kenwood's amateur stuff and used a few of their commercial handhelds and found it all quite good. I've been looking at some of their older commercial stuff for semi-permanent installation under the pillion seat. Old TK-350s can be had for less than $100 each with no battery and would eat up a lot less space than one of their more recent models. The down side is that you wouldn't be able to legally use them on FRS because they're not type approved for it.

If there's interest in this as a project, I might be able to locate a batch of 350s and could probably put together instructions for an installation kit. (I also have access to most of the Kenwood programming software, which helps, too.)

--Mark

Top Bottom