Klim disappointment

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
There are some very inexpensive (relative) products starting to show up.
eg.

I bought a pair of their pants a while back (for $50!!!!!) off of Amazon, because I needed some with better ventilation than what I had and I wear separate armor underneath. I have to say, the materials and construction seem to be on par with a lot of much more expensive gear. Not surprising since it probably comes from the same manufacturer sources. I had a 40mph get off on gravel/dirt and they held up fine.
I have their beige pants too, and like them. They aren't as heavy as my Olympia Dakar pants, but seem just fine.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was going to ask what everyone thinks of Olympia but @Daboo beat me to it. A number of the guys in our club wear Olympia and like the pants and jackets.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Olympia mesh gear, a handful of years old, suits me fine. No pun intended. I haven't had to buy any new gear in several years.
As I plan my trip out to RawHyde to pick up my GS/A, seems 90 out of 92 riders in their photos are outfitted in Klim gear.
But they're all riding BMW adventure bikes, so no surprise there.
If I really cared, I guess I will look out of place.
So what?
I doubt very many of those beemerphiles have an ST, too.
(Not the ST2.)

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Olympia mesh gear, a handful of years old, suits me fine. No pun intended. I haven't had to buy any new gear in several years.
As I plan my trip out to RawHyde to pick up my GS/A, seems 90 out of 92 riders in their photos are outfitted in Klim gear.
But they're all riding BMW adventure bikes, so no surprise there.
If I really cared, I guess I will look out of place.
So what?
I doubt very many of those beemerphiles have an ST, too.
(Not the ST2.)
I own a 2022 BMW R1250GS and take great pride in wearing mismatched gear to my BMW dealer or event…….Alpinestars boots, Olympia/Firstgear pants, Firstgear/Joe Rocket jacket, HJC helmet, and Tourmaster/Sedici gloves. I am not one of the cool kids.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many of our club members wear Klim gear, but also Olympia, First Gear, A-Stitch, Motoport, and other brands. I regularly see only around 40 of the 200 members. I'm pickled tink not to own a BMW and to ride my VStrom to our breakfasts and rides. That said, some Guzzi friends (who also own BMW's and go to their Rallies) have told me that BMW owners can be an inclusive lot who look askance at anyone not on their favored brand.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
D3O armor can be level I or II. Most Klim gear, if not all, has level I.... many jackets / pants you get from other manufacturers have level II armor, not D3O but similar repetitive impact absorbing molecular armor.
Thanks for showing that to me. D30 is just the brand, nothing else. The pads in my Induction are level 1 and while CE level 1 is allowed PPE use on racetracks I'd have to use level 2 for more advanced track riding with high speed turns over 150 mph. Still, if the prices are the same level 2 is more energy absorbing than level 1 which is worth having.

I like my Klìm gear. I have a hi-Viz 3/4 mesh jacket (I have no idea what model it is) and a Hardanger one piece. They perform as their manuals said they would. The Hardanger is also much cooler than my Roadcrafter and it hasn't ever allowed any water in.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I like my Klìm gear...
If you like your Klim gear, that's great. Just like with motorcycles, different strokes for different folks. :)

Early on, I bought TourMaster gear. Money was tight, and I didn't give Klim and the other high end pricey clothing lines more than a passing thought. Somewhere along the way, I stumbled on Olympia gear. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. It ran about the same price as the TourMaster gear, just a few $$ more...but seemed very high quality and had the thoughtful touches that gear $150-200 more had. The only reason I sold my AST2 jacket, was because the upgraded model was on a clearance. I thought it might be smart to get the newest version and get more years out of a great jacket. I think I actually liked the AST2 better.

Then Olympia's owners sold out to a holding company that almost decimated it. Anything I buy now though, always has the Olympia gear as the standard I compare it to.

Klim gear to me has always made me shake my head in wonder. With my Olympia gear, I got a wind/waterproof liner that could be used when I took off the main jacket. Wear it into church. Wear it around the campfire. Wear it into the hardware store. It didn't leave you standing out in a rainy cold parking lot and getting wet and cold if you left your riding gear at the bike. Plus, there was an insulated liner that could be used separately also. That was really thoughtful.

What do I do with Klim gear? I spend $750 for a jacket that has no liners. None. Nada. I guess I'm supposed to go to REI and buy a waterproof liner or windbreaker for another $100+. And get some kind of insulated liner for cold weather.

It just seems like I pay more for less...and I'm supposed to be happy.

The HWK gear (like the Klim gear) also has less bulk than the Olympia Dakar pants I have. Olympia was very proud of using Cordura, which by nature is bulky. Someone earlier said the HWK gear held up well in a get-off. But what really bums me out, is HWK went through a price increase. It's absolutely outrageous! I think I bought my first HWK pants for $50 and they've gone up to ...wait for this...a whopping $60!!! Can you believe that kind of price gouging???!!! But at least they still have a lifetime warranty.

I can afford anything I want. I'm blessed in that way. But I feel like I want to get the value for the gear I buy. In the case of Klim, I personally feel like a lot of the money you pay...is for the name.

For those who will dismiss HWK gear as being made in China...look to see where your higher priced item is being manufactured? It's probably also China. So where does the extra money go???

Chris

Top Bottom