KW Honda - Test Ride Day (VFR 1200 & VT1300 Sabre)

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
About 7 years ago I rode my Suzuki VX800 to the local Honda dealer to try a few bikes when the Honda Canada test fleet arrived. I don't even remember what bikes I rode that day but I do remember the demo where they scattered kitty litter across the road and then demonstrated this fancy new bike stopped safely - with the rider holding his hands in the air!

That was pretty impressive to me. Of course I'm talking about the first time I saw the ST1300. I didn't ride it that day but that planted a seed that was finally realized 2 years ago. While I really liked my Suzuki I was ready to change how and where I rode and the ST1300 has been a perfect fit for me over the past 2 years. I've even learned how to farkle!

Last Saturday while having breakfast with a group of ST'ers (thanks for organizing that RTE, Kevin!) learned that Honda Canada was once again bringing their test fleet to the local dealership. So I promptly booked a ride on the VFR1200:) And since I was going to be there anyways I asked to ride the Fury...but since this isn't a Powersports dealer that was an option. The closest thing was the VT1300 Sabre so I scheduled it immediately prior to the VFR.

While I liked the looks and sound of the VT1300 Sabre I hadn't been on it even 5 minutes before I knew it wasn't my type of bike. Good thing I wasn't planning to buy it...

• Seat - sculpted and nice looking, but didn't allow any back and forward movement. And since my dimensions (probably weight and inseam) didn't seem to match the preferred rider it was uncomfortable.
  • Suspension - I should look up the techical specifications because the impression it gave me was that this was missing from the bike! I've never been so diligent watching for the slightest pavement imperfections to avoid jarring my spine...
  • Exhaust - sounded great. Too bad the pipe is a bit exposed where my legs naturally drop when standing up at a stop light (trying to get relief from the seat)
  • Engine / transmission - lots of power, but very different than the ST. Lots of flexibility in what gear you choose to ride in. No tach and I did bump it off the rev limiter a few times.
  • Foot pegs - made me look like Fred Flinstone driving his car a few times. They are so far forward that when I would turn from a stop light I would be flailing around trying to rest them where the foot pegs are on my ST. Then I would move them forward or a back a few inches. Then try it again. Then realize I needed to stretch out to reach them. Then I would shift into second and gun it to regain the speed I had lost.
  • Brakes - worked, but didn't inspire confidence.
  • Flickability - none.

Now the VFR1200 was a totally different machine. Visually it didn't do much for me - it wasn't ugly, but didn't cause me to take a second glance either. But that's okay because the fun factor on this bike was awesome! Can't think of a bike I'd rather ride for a day...
  • Seating position / ergonomics - much more comfortable than I expected. More of a forward lean than on the ST but my wrist was never sore. It actually felt pretty natural.
  • Gear indicator - loved it! And I could see it in full sunshine while wearing a tinted visor. Wish I could transplant that to the ST.
  • Seat - seemed somewhat more comfortable than the ST, but I wasn't on it long enough to truly say. Plus I had just gotten of the VT1300 Sabre - 'nuff said.
  • Transmission - very slick. Can ride in just about any gear at any speed. I reached 100 km/h in first, about 500 RPM below the redline. Touched 125 in second. Can't imagine what the higher gears can handle.
  • Engine - sweet. Incredible. Awesome. Love it when the engine note changes around 6000 RPM and it feels like a turbo kicks in. Brought a huge grin to my face every time!
  • Brakes - awe inspiring. Would have loved to really test them but couldn't. I suspect they are truly impressive.
  • Flickability - very impressive. Feels nimble and inspires confidence.
  • Size - feels like riding a bike half the size. I could stand at a stoplight, remove my hands from the bars, and walk forward or backward several bike lengths without any effort. It was closer to walking a bicycle than walking my ST.
While I would happily rent the VFR for a day, or a trip, I don't think I would would replace my ST with it for several reasons:
  • My bike has an adjustable windscreen
  • My bike has waterproof luggage
  • My bike is farkled the way I like it
  • My bike hasn't caused me to get any performance awards yet
  • My bike has very different mirrors. On the VFR every time I seemed to look at them the size of all the objects was rapidly shrinking. (see point immediately above)

I've read lots of other impressions about the bike and I can see why some people love it. I do! But I'm not trading in my bike for it. But if anyone wants to swap for a day...

Krynn

Mana-mana, doo doo da-do-doo!
  • My bike hasn't caused me to get any performance awards yet
  • My bike has very different mirrors. On the VFR every time I seemed to look at them the size of all the objects was rapidly shrinking. (see point immediately above)
:crackup

I haven't ridden a VFR1200 yet, but I did sit one one a few weeks ago. The salesman saw me looking at it and we talked about it for a bit before I asked if I could straddle it. He said yes, then stepped away for a second as I was swing a leg over. Having never spent much time on sportbikes, I was surprised how good everything felt. When the sales guy came back, he tossed me the keys. I'd love to say that I took it for a spin, but I didn't have my lid with me and really did have to get back on the road. But I can say that the engine sounds sweet! :D And I can also say that when my '05 gets old and tired (a long time from now - I'm only averaging about 15k miles per year), I'll have to take a reeeal close look at the 1200T.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Stopped at Chaparral in Riverside, CA on Saturday. Their only VFR1200T now belongs to the shop owner, traded his 2006 VFR800.

Sat on the show bike at Long Beach back in December. Looked closely at the floor model at Fox Valley Honda, Aurora, IL last month.

No one has offered me a ride yet. Need to check my local dealer I guess.

I like it.

I used to tour my VFR750. Never a problem. I think this new bike has good possibilities. With three ST1100s in the garage, I'm in no hurry.

Top Bottom