leaking fork 2010 st1300a 17k miles on it

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hello,

I have a left fork that is leaking very slightly, just showing grime on the fork face and around the rim inner area. hoping the quick fix works on getting the seal cleaned out. assuming it does, how do I determine the amount of fork oil that needs replaced WITHOUT taking the fork off the bike. any help would be appreciated.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's 12 years old and I know some here would say the mileage is too low for it to leak. But it's rubber, it gets old. I just blew out my 2012's left forks seal. It only has 32K on it, but it's 10 years old. I'll be replacing the seals on both sides, so I know if I need to ride it 1,300 miles, I won't have to worry about them!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If you noticed it immediately after the oil started showing, which it sounds like you did, then I'd suspect you lost so little oil it couldn't be accurately measured anyway. I wouldn't bother trying to compensate for it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Even if you did not catch the leak immediately after it began, fork seal leaks are typically very slow leaks, and what @dwalby said goes. If you decide to replace the seals, you will be replacing the fork oil anyway.

If the quick and easy seal clean-out with the thin shim tool does not work, you will have to do the seals. In that case, I suggest you check the sag measurements and consider replacing the fork springs if needed. These bikes were set up by Honda for your typical 150# rider, and that weight is not typical for either most ST riders or aircraft passengers. If you are close to that weight BAN*, you can get away with additional preload - a longer spacer inside the fork tube.

*bare butt naked

Bike
2005 st1300
Hello,

I have a left fork that is leaking very slightly, just showing grime on the fork face and around the rim inner area. hoping the quick fix works on getting the seal cleaned out. assuming it does, how do I determine the amount of fork oil that needs replaced WITHOUT taking the fork off the bike. any help would be appreciated.
When was the fork oil last changed? If it is original, it should be changed, which means setting the proper quantity is a given. As @SMSW says, it would be good to get sag measurements beforehand, in case you want to adjust it.

Top Bottom