Leaking gear oil

JRD

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Last summer I took my '05 ST1300 to a Kawasaki dealer for tires and had them change the differential oil. I didn't get a chance to ride much and then when I did a 200 km ride on a cold morning, I noticed gear oil on the rear wheel. I'm thinking they may have had the bike on the side stand when they filled it and overfilled it. I moved last fall and now can't take it back to the Kawi dealer. I'm concerned the seal may be damaged. Anyone with similar experience? Could it just have been overfilled and will sort itself out or should I check the seal? Better to have the dealer do it or attempt it myself?

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Put the bike on the center stand, take out the side plug. If it is overfilled, it will correct its self as the excess drains. Then you'll know for sure.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just put it up on the center stand, remove the fill plug and check the level. Should be at or just below the bottom of the threaded hole the fill plug was in. If it's OK, there's most likely no problem. Clean any remaining oil from the pumpkin and wheel, go for another ride, and check again for any sign of leakage. Easy to check yourself, if there is any leakage, replacing all the O-rings in the wheel hub may be the fix, someone who knows more about it than me may be able to chime in if you find out you do have some fluid leakage.

OP
OP
JRD

JRD

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks everyone. The gear oil is the correct level, so I'm going to assume/hope that it was just a bit overfilled and that the seal is OK. I found a Kawasaki site that says to fill the differential with the bike on the sidestand, so I'm guessing that is what the Kawasaki dealer did. I'll keep an eye on the level and hope it quits making a mess soon.

Top Bottom