Lewis Pin in the UK

Bike
ST1100 1998 Green
Hi to all. My first post on this site. Sorry if this has been answered before but does anyone know if its possible to obtain a genuine Lewis Pin or Lewis Pin kit in the UK?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If you are needing this to do the 40 amp alternator upgrade on your '91 ST . . . . you don't really need it. The new alternator can be mated to the engine internals without it.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1998 Green
I did mean Lewis pin but I'm confused now. Don't I need it to get the gear aligned before i slide the alternator back in?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I understand your confusion, as many who have done the alternator upgrade have used the Lewis pin method, but it can be done without it. I have not performed this operation, but a fellow occasionally on this site, Norm Keller, detailed how to do it and you may be able to find his posts by a search, or someone else may come along with more direction on that.

Bike
ST1100
If you want to go the way of the Lewis pin it's easy enough to make your own..you,re local farm machinery shop will have "lynch pins" for about 50p each.They are also available on EBay.You,ll have to remove the spring and grind down the wide end flush..drill a small hole all the way through to attach the wire for withdrawing the pin..it worked well for me when I replaced my 25 amp alternator with 40 amp.if you need any more help send me PM.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I made my own Lewis Pin... used the pin from a std door hinge I had laying around... it happened to be about 6mm in dia. (~0.230"). I shortened it and drilled hole in it, deburred etc and attached a coat-hanger. It worked just fine... although it did take a hefty pull to dislodge it!
Mr. BR

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1998 Green
Thanks for the answers. I'm curious now about doing it without the Lewis Pin. Can anyone shed some more light on this alternative method?

Top Bottom