Linked brake problem after changing pads..

Bike
04 ST1300
Hi,

I changed my brake pads with new recommended OEM. I have a hard time trying to push in the 3 pistons with the old pads, only the center piston retracted,finally i give up and let some hydroulic out of the caliper thereby retracting 3 pistons and installing new pads. I also changed the front left pair of pads as they wear more than the right, and i have no spare to change the front right.The front pads seat without a problem, as for the rear i have to let air out by manual bleeding as i have no bleeding tools. The brakes were firm and seems to work fine, it just occured to me to check the function of the linked brake. I sat the bike on center stand, press back seat down and rolled the front wheel,immedeatly engaged the rear brake pedal, the front wheel stoped, i grinned to myself and repeat the process with the rear tire and engaged the front brake handle. The rear tire just kept on rolling. Is something amiss.(see pics)

Attachments

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The bike has to be rolling to activate the secondary master cylinder on the left front caliper. Testing it on the stand will not work.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #
Thanks, so how do i know its working fine
It explains how to check this in your owners manual. While on center stand, rotate rear wheel with right hand, push SMC in with left hand and rear wheel should stop.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
It explains how to check this in your owners manual. While on center stand, rotate rear wheel with right hand, push SMC in with left hand and rear wheel should stop.
Just in case let me add SMC = Secondary Master Cylinder.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
To clarify: Place motorcycle on centerstand. While rotating rear wheel push the left front caliper forward. This action activates the SMC or secondary master cylinder which is built into the left front caliper assembly. The rear brake piston linked to the SMC should extend and apply rear pads against the disk stopping the rear wheel.

If the rear brake pedal is mushy or drops from one position to another slightly lower position when the hand lever is applied then released while holding pressure on the rear pedal there is air trapped in the SMC. The left front caliper has to be removed and tilted more than 15 degrees up toward the rear to bleed this air from the SMC. This is very important with the ST1300 linked brake system.

Top Bottom