Lock Tumblers / Wafers

Hi All
I am lloking to replace the Pannier / Saddlebag locks on my 1100.

I want to make sure the locks I replace will use the original key. I don't have all the wafers from the old lock barrels as they were missing when I aquired the bike. Does anyone know where I can obtain a kit of wafers in the UK that I can match up with the existing ones? I am pretty certain that when I buy some new / used lock barrels, I won't have enough wafers to match to the original key.

Cheers

Bike
2010 ST1300
No idea on your side of the pond. I did not know wafers were availble, unless you are referring to the very short 'pins' used in mastering a pin tumbler lock. I thought the ST's locks used a flat piece of metal with a hole in it. As you push the key in, said flat metal plate moved with the notches on the key. And I did not know these were available at all. If they are, a locksmith's supply house. Over here, you have to have proof you are a locksmith. I've wondered about that since it seems money, more than anything else, makes the world go round.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd roam eBay and breaker sites for a used lock-set you could cannibalize...
Sometimes they're offering the 4 pannier locks + buckles alone...

OP
OP
NickGreenhough
No idea on your side of the pond. I did not know wafers were availble, unless you are referring to the very short 'pins' used in mastering a pin tumbler lock. I thought the ST's locks used a flat piece of metal with a hole in it. As you push the key in, said flat metal plate moved with the notches on the key. And I did not know these were available at all. If they are, a locksmith's supply house. Over here, you have to have proof you are a locksmith. I've wondered about that since it seems money, more than anything else, makes the world go round.
Yes, I am struggling to find any - they are flat pieces of brass and I believe they are referred to as wafers. Now the extended bank holiday is out of the way, I intend to pay a visit to the local locksmith - maybe they'll have the wafers in stock and will sell me some. I have located some wafers on Aliexpress but I cannot be sure they will fit as the info is very sparse.

OP
OP
NickGreenhough
I'd roam eBay and breaker sites for a used lock-set you could cannibalize...
Sometimes they're offering the 4 pannier locks + buckles alone...
Yep, I do also need to replace a pannier lid so that may ultimately be the better way to go. I'll check out the local locksmith as well.

Bike
R1200rt
You could get away with using a couple of the and leaving out a few. Whats the chances of someone trying a key to rob your cases.

OP
OP
NickGreenhough
I thought about that but there again, parking in Manchester City Centre (when we go back to work) could be a bit risky. I have found some reasonably proced candidate locks on Ebay so I'll have a bit of a play and see what I can make up.

OP
OP
NickGreenhough
A further update on this. I managed to canibalise another set of locks that I acquired and I am finally back up and running. I am still trying to locate a tumbler supplier in the UK (or a supplier over the pond that will post to the UK). I have now acquired pan no 3.75 (a 1991 plus 3/4s of a 2000 Ambulance model in a box) and I am trying to consolidate the 91 down to a couple of keys (from about 5). I have just about managed from pulling my remaining barrels apart but have finally run out of tumblers to complete the job. My local locksmith reckons the tumblers are not available. A bit of googling seems to suggest the tumblers are P30-141 to 144 (Toyota & Honda Motorcycle). They certainly look the same though I can't confirm the size.

Top Bottom