Loctite Blue?

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I need to pick up some Loctite blue and most of the places that seem to have it on their websites do not have it in the store and need to mount some farkles.

Does anyone know which of the chain autoparts stores stock it in the store?

Stoopid question, but trying to avoid running around all day tomorrow locating it.

TIA!

RCS

I need to pick up some Loctite blue and most of the places that seem to have it on their websites do not have it in the store and need to mount some farkles.

Does anyone know which of the chain autoparts stores stock it in the store?

Stoopid question, but trying to avoid running around all day tomorrow locating it.

TIA!
I've found it at most motorcycle stores. Be careful. I've sworn off the blue stuff on my ST1300. I once used fresh blue loctite on the screw holding the tip over bar plastic cover. Almost/did strip the hex bolt removing that screw a few weeks later. Never, ever again. New bolt $5.00 at motorcycle store; lesson priceless.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I've found it at most motorcycle stores. Be careful. I've sworn off the blue stuff on my ST1300. I once used fresh blue loctite on the screw holding the tip over bar plastic cover. Almost/did strip the hex bolt removing that screw a few weeks later. Never, ever again. New bolt $5.00 at motorcycle store; lesson priceless.
How much did you use and what grade? I recently found out that they make two types of "blue" loctite. I thought they only made one type. Anyway...You usually only want to use a small dot. It doesn't take much and you want to be selective on what you use it on.

On the flip side, you never want to use the red stuff. That's like welding the bolt on. I had a guy who brought in his bike for service. We couldn't get the oil filter off or drain bolt out. We ended up breaking off the drain bolt right at the shoulder. Upon checking with the customer, he told us that he did the first service himself and was told to use loctite on everything. He used the red stuff. And I do mean everything. Brake calipers, axles, handlebar mounts, forks, fairing screws, seat bolts, everything.....:shock:

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
The blue stuff is very popular. Should be able to get it almost anywhere, certainly any auto parts store. Make sure you are buying Loctite 242 (blue). Red is 271 and you will need a torch or heat it up before removing.

RCS

How much did you use and what grade? I recently found out that they make two types of "blue" loctite. I thought they only made one type. Anyway...You usually only want to use a small dot. It doesn't take much and you want to be selective on what you use it on.

On the flip side, you never want to use the red stuff. That's like welding the bolt on. I had a guy who brought in his bike for service. We couldn't get the oil filter off or drain bolt out. We ended up breaking off the drain bolt right at the shoulder. Upon checking with the customer, he told us that he did the first service himself and was told to use loctite on everything. He used the red stuff. And I do mean everything. Brake calipers, axles, handlebar mounts, forks, fairing screws, seat bolts, everything.....:shock:
I have 3 different tubes. The one I used was branded Suzuki blue. I cleaned the screw completely and applied one small dot.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I have 3 different tubes. The one I used was branded Suzuki blue. I cleaned the screw completely and applied one small dot.
Oh....you cleaned the screw? That explains everything. The loctite stuff was designed around lazy people who don't clean the bolts before hand. :D

Top Bottom