Looking at a used KLR650. Advice needed.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
First of all I have not been a big dirt rider in the past, but looking for some new things. On my trip to TN/NC last summer, I saw a lot of gravel roads that look like a lot of fun and sure I can find many dirt roads and trails around me here in NE FL. I have only looked and not even sat on a KLR650 (08 on craigslist for 4k) and wonder how they ride on the streets and speeds upto 60 or so? I see them posting milage as 50 to 60 mpg...is that right? What are the down sides and what are the common changes made for these bikes? Thanks for the help.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is the place to look for information:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/

I owned an '08.......had electrical problems on the Trans Labrador Highway. My riding buddy's '08 burned a lot of oil on the same trip and fried the top end (cams, journals, head, etc). If it were me, I would pass on a used '08 KLR and look for a used '09 or '07-earlier bike.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
The KLR is a fun bike and can run on the roads at speeds up to 70 with ease(it will go faster if necessary). I took mine to Alaska and back before selling it. If I was only in Ohio, I would still have it, but since I spend lot of time in CA, I bought a DRZ 400 for the dirt out here. $4,000 is what I sold mine for and it was verrrrry well farkled. The '08 has a bigger alternator that the '07 and previous and is the only reason I got it instead of a used one. I needed the extra electrical for my heated gear on the run north. There is a recall on the electrical harnesses on the '08's and '09's. The oil burning issue happened on some of the '08's and I had no problem with mine. There was also a recall on the muffler bolts. I put 18K miles on mine and never had a problem with the muffler and over 3,000 miles of dirt and gravel while I was up north.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I had some extra time yesterday and stopped by the Kaw dealer by me in Yulee FL to sit on a KLR650. Very tall! I know the reason , but still. I'm 6'1" and 34 inseam and could not put my feet flat on the ground. I have to say it is a very cool looking bike. I'm going back next week for a ride. I also sat on a Concours 14.........I LIKE!!!

O.K., Back to reallity. What are the differences between an 2006 and a 2009 KLR650? I see that the alternator is one change, how much extras will the 06 alternator handle?

Last edited:
Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
A and B. Kawi made the A model for about 30 years ending with the '07. The '08 was the first B model, means significant change. Alternator, brakes, motor, suspension, plastic.

You still have to replace the do hickey at your earliest convenience, doesn't matter the year. I think one of our members here (Maura??) had an oil burner that she whined about enough that Kawi fixed it.

It's a real good dual sport, sorta like the ST. It doesn't do any one category best, it is just the very best at all of them. It is a great companion bike to the ST.

Byron

STOC #
There are several on this site that own KLR's. As previously mentioned KLR650.NET will be able to provide the same sort of information about the KLR you find here on the ST's.

My KLR650 is an '08 and so far no real issues. There was also a recall for the turn signals falling off, Kawasaki will replace all of them. It seems the rubber used on may of the parts rot or fall apart. Even with these problems I think the '08 and newer are worth it.

Larger diameter front forks, reworked with slightly less travel than earlier models but also less spongy, dual piston disc brakes instead of single piston, higher output stator, better headlights (2 instead of 1, 55 watts each), larger diameter spokes, better seat foam, more wind protection from faring, larger rear sub-frame top bolts (10mm instead of 8mm, I think that's right).

It's light compared to the ST's but it is heavy for a dirt bike. You mentioned tall seat with your 34" inseam, I only have 30" inseam. Crash-bars are a must or you're looking as replacing plastic or even the radiator which is behind the left plastic. You can setup the bike for however you want to use it. It has the largest gas tank out there for dual sports with nearly the same range as the ST. You can set it up with hard or soft luggage, gear it up or down, run street or more off-road tires. You will drop it and it will get scratched. It will take you places that the ST either couldn't or shouldn't go.

I enjoy mine.

Just bought a used 2003 KLR with 10K miles on it. With my inseam only 30" I lowered it 3" with different dog bones. I can flat-foot it after I sit on it now. You get a whole lot of bike for a fairly low price. Fun bike, no problem cruising at 60 mph, great mileage 50-60 mpg. Me & three buddies have them & are riding up to Alaska in July. Can't go wrong with this as a second bike! :woo

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I had an 08 before purchasing my ST. Me and the seat didn't get along. I bought a Sargent and comfort went way up. The Sargent is also lower which helped my 30" inseam. Some have reported oil burning, rubber rotting and bolts loosening. Other than that it is a o.k. bike. With about $1K of farkles you can make it a pretty good bike. I really enjoyed mine around town much more than I did on dirt roads. Four thousand seems a little high since a 09 is only around $6k. I'd look at a new one seriously.
Mike

Depends on your likes and dislikes. I had an 07 with crash bars that increased the amount of the vibration (hey, it's a THUMPER) and got tired of such at 70mph, went to the DL650.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, from all of the comments and replys, I had decided on a new 09 or use 09 with farkels for a good price. Color is not really a big deal, but I do like just the plan black. Just a quick hunt puts me on one for $4699.00 in NC. With this FLU thing, I am not thinking fly and ride, but I can pick it up with my truck and trailer making a long weekend get away out of it.

I did see that one of the rubber brake hoses coming into the top of the rear brake peddle valve has a cheap cover because it rubs on a bolt. A closer look could show more, but I think the first thing I would do is cut a fuel line and zip tie it over that part of the brake line. The reading on the "dohicky" worrys me and I would love to work that out with the dealer when/where I buy. Tires....I would want a little more streetable tires, not sure if I could get that in the deal. Seat....I agree, MY BUTT IS NOT SQUARE!!! But, Sergent is right here is Jax.:) I will check with the local dealer on Kawasaki finance , but if I can find used 09 with farkels, my credit union will consider it as new and still get the 6% even if it is a new year used bike.

Make sure you get the Eagle (eagle mike I think) brand for your doo, there are a LOT of copies out there that are actually worse than the OEM. Contact Eagle Mike to get it, you can and should, get on the KLR650.net forum.

Kawasaki just came out with 2 inch lower version of the KLR 650 and it sets really nice. If you talk to a Kawasaki mechanic the problem with doo hickey was addressed in the later models. Talked to kawasaki dealer and rider about the height because it is a tall bike. I put lowering links in mine { 2 inch } and it does help the confidence level on rough roads. They are pretty much impossible to hurt.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I had an 08 KLR for several years and traveled all over the western US with it. The 08 models had some issues with oil burning especially if you ran it on the freeway for extended periods of time. That being said probably the best modification you could make to the KLR is to install a 685 kit with a forged piston. The 685 kit eliminates the oil burning issue and it makes the engine run much smoother as the piston is much lighter than the stock slug. A nice little bump in torque and HP also makes the KLR a much better bike overall. The exhaust cam timing can be advanced a tooth from stock which also improves the torque and gives you about a 1/2 hp bump in the mid range. Find Eagle Mike on google he has everything needed to fix anything related to a KLR. The mods for any carbureted model are - airbox mods, JD jet kit and a Leo Vince exhaust with a quiet insert. This transforms the way the engine runs. Also the infamous doohickey fix which replaces the internal chain tensioner that is a known weak point. The stock seat is rubbish for any distance riding and the suspension is like a marshmellow. After 2014 Kawasaki stiffened up the suspension. I revalved my forks, and replaced the rear shock and resprung the front as well. Riding a KLR is a bit like going back to the 1980's but I loved my KLR and it never let me down. All these mods sound like a lot but they were well worth doing. I could ride my KLR all day at 80mph and then hit the trails with it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is a 13 year old thread. You might consider a new thread but what the heck.

Top Bottom