Looking for Advice - Riding the Rocky Mountains (in the US)

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I know there are some riders here who have a lot of experience riding the US Rocky Mountains . I'd appreciate any feedback you would care to share on the basic questions below - Thanks

I am in the early stage of planning a ride out from NH to the RMs. At the moment I expect to start and finish my RM trip in Colorado Springs. I have friends there and my wife might fly out to meet me (riding 2 up). The CS airport has decent flight connections from NH.

I have acquired a set of detailed Butler Maps covering all the RM states and am looking forward to poring over them. I'll be on my ST1300 and am looking to stay primarily on paved roads. I'm also looking to explore as many roads and passes (or pass like roads) as I can - be they wide flowing roads or smaller narrow roads. My understanding is that the RM range from just north of Albuquerque NM up to Glacier National Park in northern Montana at the Canadian border. Both my wife and I are experienced with riding in the mountains (Alps) in various weather conditions and prefer cooler weather.

Besides any specific rides, attractions or routing my 2 main questions at the moment are;
  • If my wife comes I expect to average 200 - 250 miles per day (more if solo), plus time off the bike to sightsee, relax, layover if the weather is really bad, etc. We can allocate 14 - 21 days to riding the Rockys. My question is will 14 days (up to 21 if need be) give us enough time to ride a fairly thorough exploration of the paved roads?
  • Some mountain ranges are best ridden by sort of zig zagging back and forth up and down their length. Others perhaps by doing a loop around the sides and delving in as desired. Since we'll likely be starting and ending in Colorado Springs are there any thoughts on how to approach my ride, i.e going up the east side, looping back down the west side - or would it just be better to zig zag back and forth while going up and down (sounds like a silly question now that I type it - hopefully it makes sense)
Sounds like the best time to visit may be early-mid June or September, but some riders seem to like July and August - any feedback on time to visit would be helpful too.

Thanks again

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm sure you're going to get dozens of replies on this, surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet. There are so many excellent roads, its hard to go wrong, but there are some common favorites. US212 between the east entrance to Yellowstone and Red Lodge MT is one of them, and is one of the few US roads that switchbacks up the slopes like the highways in the Alps. Another favorite is the 'million dollar highway' route 550 in Colorado. There's also a few routes like going into Telluride CO that you have to retrace your steps back out because the road dead ends at a mountain with no pass.

Take a look at your maps and plan a tentative route, you can do a lot of riding in 3 weeks, then ask some more specific questions as you get more familiar with the territory.

BTW, some of the best RM scenery is on the Canadian side, so don't rule that out completely, but it does increase your riding distances.

regarding your zig-zag question, that definitely applies to the Sierra Nevada in CA, but not so much in the Rockies in my limited experience. The Rockies are large enough geographically that you can kind of ride them right through the middle, or from side to side, there's a lot of road options. Some of the CO/MT members can probably give more details on all the various roads in the area.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
If you can bring this Google map route up on your PC, this is a terrific loop from Colorado Springs and back that will let you hit the best parts of the southern Colorado, Nothern New Mexico Rockies. One of my favorite rides.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
And this loop will take you through some of the best roads in nothern Colorado. Google wouldn't let me add to it, so from Estes Park you'd need to go back down through Boulder then back to the Springs.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
If you want to ride Utah let me know and I can show you the best rides there too. I've ridden them all.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Charlie after living in Colorado for 20 plus years there are some areas best left to week days. Pikes Peak, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP, Million dollar highway Telluride, are just a few. they get crowded. A few years ago I road rocky Mountain NP from Estes Park, on the Thursday before Labor Day. I started the ride about 9:00 AM and never had a car in front of me or behind. I stopped took pictures and continued to ride with out a car. This was an anomaly but it sure was a fun solo ride.

There are a lot of great roads, but is there more than roads? Unique places, events, food, etc. Butler maps and this forum will be very helpful.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Old pass roads tend to be gravel, dirt and worse. But they take you places you will otherwise not see - abandoned mines, ghost towns, incredible scenery (the last is there for the looking all over Colorado). Once you choose a route, go to google maps and look at the roads/area on street view and satellite view - 3D.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
BTW, some of the best RM scenery is on the Canadian side, so don't rule that out completely, but it does increase your riding distances.
Thank you for the feedback. At the moment I'm thinking 2021 and I'm not sure the border will be open. I've ridden up through Banff and Jasper many years ago - you're right - some great scenery

If you can bring this Google map route up on your PC, this is a terrific loop from Colorado Springs and back that will let you hit the best parts of the southern Colorado, Nothern New Mexico Rockies. One of my favorite rides.
Thank you for the maps and feedback. They were informative. It also looked like your routes were approx 800+ miles each. If my wife comes and we average 200/250 miles per day (factoring in sightseeing, stops, etc) that would indicate that I would plan on approx 4 days per route - 8 days total, which gives me an idea of how much of my 14 - 21 days I might use on this trip. If I end up solo that will up my daily mileage a fair bit. I'll keep your offer to ride together in mind

There are a lot of great roads, but is there more than roads? Unique places, events, food, etc. Butler maps and this forum will be very helpful.
Thanks again for your input

MC, impossible request. :D
I'm sure your right - lots more roads than time. Just trying to sort out how much I might be able to cover in 2 - 3 weeks. I'd rather base out of a few places and explore a region on detail than speed all over the place just to cover ground. I love riding in the mountains and expect to enjoy the riding AND scenery too.

Old pass roads tend to be gravel, dirt and worse. But they take you places you will otherwise not see - abandoned mines, ghost towns, incredible scenery (the last is there for the looking all over Colorado). Once you choose a route, go to google maps and look at the roads/area on street view and satellite view - 3D.
This will depend a bit on whether I end up solo or 2-up. I'm fine riding my ST down hard packed dirt roads but I'm less inclined to do any distance on dirt with my wife on the back. I've seen pictures of some beautiful places up dirt roads in the Rockys. Calls for 2nd trip.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I'm up in Canada, but I add in my 2 cents.
Bought my bike in Chicago and I took 18 days to get home to the west coast in 2010.
Here are some of our stops near the Rockies and heading through the Rockies in the US.
Dodge City, KS spend a day there, we stayed in a bed and breakfast on boot hill. Across the street from the cemetery.
Santa Fe, NM spend a day there, adobe houses are just out of this world,
Fly your wife to Vegas and pick her up, had a blast at that airport picking my wife up on the bike. They were clueless telling me where to pick her up on a bike. Spend a few days there. Take in a track day with Keith Code. Think I've got the right guy.
Grand Canyon, spend 2 days there at the Best Western, best continental breakfast ever. Wash your bike there too.
Go hiking in one of the 7 wonders of the world.
Antelope canyon near Page, AZ spend a day there, stay in Page, AZ
Raft the Colorado river from Page, AZ, just amazing
Head up to Crater lake Oregon
Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park Montana
Head over to San Francisco and see Alcatraz
There's more in between, don't rush.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Charlie after living in Colorado for 20 plus years there are some areas best left to week days. Pikes Peak, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP, Million dollar highway Telluride, are just a few. they get crowded.
Add Mount Evans to that list. I went on a Sunday in July 2018 and it was packed.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Well, I'm up in Canada, but I add in my 2 cents.
Bought my bike in Chicago and I took 18 days to get home to the west coast in 2010.
Here are some of our stops near the Rockies and heading through the Rockies in the US.
Thank you for the suggestions - sounds like you had a great trip.

Add Mount Evans to that list. I went on a Sunday in July 2018 and it was packed.
Already have that one the list - Thanks

You just can't name them all.
You got that right - so many places, so little time

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I know there are some riders here who have a lot of experience riding the US Rocky Mountains . I'd appreciate any feedback you would care to share on the basic questions below - Thanks

I am in the early stage of planning a ride out from NH to the RMs. At the moment I expect to start and finish my RM trip in Colorado Springs. I have friends there and my wife might fly out to meet me (riding 2 up). The CS airport has decent flight connections from NH.

I have acquired a set of detailed Butler Maps covering all the RM states and am looking forward to poring over them. I'll be on my ST1300 and am looking to stay primarily on paved roads. I'm also looking to explore as many roads and passes (or pass like roads) as I can - be they wide flowing roads or smaller narrow roads. My understanding is that the RM range from just north of Albuquerque NM up to Glacier National Park in northern Montana at the Canadian border. Both my wife and I are experienced with riding in the mountains (Alps) in various weather conditions and prefer cooler weather.

Besides any specific rides, attractions or routing my 2 main questions at the moment are;
  • If my wife comes I expect to average 200 - 250 miles per day (more if solo), plus time off the bike to sightsee, relax, layover if the weather is really bad, etc. We can allocate 14 - 21 days to riding the Rockys. My question is will 14 days (up to 21 if need be) give us enough time to ride a fairly thorough exploration of the paved roads?
  • Some mountain ranges are best ridden by sort of zig zagging back and forth up and down their length. Others perhaps by doing a loop around the sides and delving in as desired. Since we'll likely be starting and ending in Colorado Springs are there any thoughts on how to approach my ride, i.e going up the east side, looping back down the west side - or would it just be better to zig zag back and forth while going up and down (sounds like a silly question now that I type it - hopefully it makes sense)
Sounds like the best time to visit may be early-mid June or September, but some riders seem to like July and August - any feedback on time to visit would be helpful too.

Thanks again
I was in southern co last sept and yes, there was snow! The roads are well cared for there tho.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Plan a short stop (30 min.) at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge about 10 miles northwest of Taos. You can walk out on the bridge and look down at the river about 800' below. Parking with venders on both sides.

Top Bottom