Looking for feedback on video I made please

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
EDIT: added a link to the video below.

Hi everyone,
I got inspired to hopefully start a YouTube channel showcasing short motorcycle rides to certain spots on the map. I created a test video where I visit the house from the movie Home Alone I visited just few days ago, and would love to get some constructive criticism please. My short rides from home, I plan on riding my trusty 650cc, but for longer rides I’ll be doing on my 1993 ST1100.
I welcome any feedback that will help me improve. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links to self made videos, so let me know if interested and I can share via direct message. I will add a link to the post if I’m told it is ok to do.
I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Doron

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
showcasing short motorcycle rides
Nicely done, love the music at the end. I think the algorithm for YT is set at 10 mins, you may want to make then just a bit longer. Maybe multiple stops on the same trip edited together. Just keep making them and you will find a sweet spot for yourself and the audience.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Nicely done, love the music at the end. I think the algorithm for YT is set at 10 mins, you may want to make then just a bit longer. Maybe multiple stops on the same trip edited together. Just keep making them and you will find a sweet spot for yourself and the audience.
Thank you. I think the minimum length is 8 minutes. Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Also, btw, were you listening to me talk? Was it interesting? It’s ok if you didn’t, just curious about it.
Thanks.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Voice was clear and concise, no wind noise, could hear the bike a little. I liked all that. Felt more like you were in a car than on a bike though since I couldn't see the bike. I at least like to see the gauges. bars, tanks and rider's hands when watching a mc vid so I get a feeling that I'm riding along.

Is that the kind of feedback you are looking for?

I like to watch vids of roads I might go like to ride someday and I know there are some near Chicago (Lake Shore Dr?) and north into Wisc. (like the Dells) I have a good riding buddy that lives just west of Chicago proper. He and I have ridden all over the country together.

It amazes me that the house draws a crowd like that. Maybe if it was down the street from me I'd stop for a visit, but I wouldn't travel to see the outside of a house where a movie was filmed (btw just watched the movie the other night)..but apparently that's just me lol.

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Good job on getting a finished version online. Just from my own perspective it was way too long before arriving at the house. It's nice to see some footage of the area before arriving, for context, but it took 7 1/2 minutes before arrival. I would cut that down to no more than 2 minutes during which I'd intercut still shots from the film, including house ext., movie poster, etc. Anything to reinforce the narration. It's been so long since I've seen the film you could have shown the exterior of any house and I would have believed it. It really builds interest to give a lot of background info. and images before showing the actual house. Technically it was great! Nice clear audio and video and touches of music.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Voice was clear and concise, no wind noise, could hear the bike a little. I liked all that. Felt more like you were in a car than on a bike though since I couldn't see the bike. I at least like to see the gauges. bars, tanks and rider's hands when watching a mc vid so I get a feeling that I'm riding along.

Is that the kind of feedback you are looking for?

I like to watch vids of roads I might go like to ride someday and I know there are some near Chicago (Lake Shore Dr?) and north into Wisc. (like the Dells) I have a good riding buddy that lives just west of Chicago proper. He and I have ridden all over the country together.

It amazes me that the house draws a crowd like that. Maybe if it was down the street from me I'd stop for a visit, but I wouldn't travel to see the outside of a house where a movie was filmed (btw just watched the movie the other night)..but apparently that's just me lol.
Thanks. That’s the kind of feedback I’m looking for. I do plan on showing the gauges with a different camera setup, which I’m testing this week. Lake shore drive is another ‘destination’ I plan to do a video on.
thanks fir the feedback.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Good job on getting a finished version online. Just from my own perspective it was way too long before arriving at the house. It's nice to see some footage of the area before arriving, for context, but it took 7 1/2 minutes before arrival. I would cut that down to no more than 2 minutes during which I'd intercut still shots from the film, including house ext., movie poster, etc. Anything to reinforce the narration. It's been so long since I've seen the film you could have shown the exterior of any house and I would have believed it. It really builds interest to give a lot of background info. and images before showing the actual house. Technically it was great! Nice clear audio and video and touches of music.
Thank you for the feedback. Part of what I aim at is the ride to a destination to draw motorcycle riders in. I plan on showing more of the bike gauges as suggested. But, it is good to know that some people prefer to get more into the point right away.
Thanks.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
While you ride to the destination, you might also want to talk a little bit about the bike you're on and why you chose it.

Even bringing up bikes you've had in the past couldn't hurt. If you've had several, spread the discussion out over several videos.

Anyway, I tend to be impatient with YouTube videos, but I did watch yours in its entirety so you do have something positive going already.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
While you ride to the destination, you might also want to talk a little bit about the bike you're on and why you chose it.

Even bringing up bikes you've had in the past couldn't hurt. If you've had several, spread the discussion out over several videos.

Anyway, I tend to be impatient with YouTube videos, but I did watch yours in its entirety so you do have something positive going already.
Thanks for the feedback. While as a rider I’d like other riders to watch and in that case talking about the bike would be nice. I can definitely add that to videos. I assume you found the video informative as I was talking that made you watch through? I guess constant talking has something to do with that as well.
Thanks.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I created a test video where I visit the house from the movie Home Alone I visited just few days ago, and would love to get some constructive criticism please.
I found your video eminently enjoyable. I liked the music and that the levels of it compared to your narration were very close. All too often videos have loud music compared to any narration not to mention some kind of grunge/death metal/trance that just isn't my thing.

I liked hearing the bike in the background. It was there but never intrusive. As a rider watching a bike-centric video this is a consideration for me. I especially like the lack of a frenetic exhaust note. I don't like it when riding and it's worse in videos unless it's the point of a video. Those are videos I don't watch much.

Did you use a script or outline for your narration? If it was extemporaneous then mad props. It was friendly/casual and well spoken. Very pleasant and conversational and didn't sound scripted. There were no uhs/ers/ums or other distracting vocal pauses or glitches. That in and of itself is a major feat. Using really polished narration is fine for a travelogue or Galapagos documentary. Being too folksy is also a little tedious to me. I felt you struck a decent balance but maybe a little less folksy would be better.

I can see where the ride to the house might be seen as long/longish but other than the initial two stretches at the opening it was ok to me. It gave us time to hear some narrative background and I didn't feel like there were long stretches of just "going down the road". Stops and turns kept my attention so that's my data point.

The transition from the establishing shot that puts you on a bike to the beginning of the video was abrupt - a cut scene. Nothing fancy need be done but it felt like a fade to black and back was called for.

Counterpoint to seeing the bike in the video I often see videos that include "bike stuff" taking up screen space at the expense of the road/scenery/etc. I ride a bike. I know they have gauges. I occasionally use them. I'm not hearing a car. The single front wheel is a reminder. For me there doesn't need to be much bike in the video. When I'm riding I'm not paying much attention to gauges except for a quick glance to keep aware of my speed. I liked seeing the bike itself so showing it from time to time is nice.

But the bike isn't really the story. The story is you riding to your destination and for me the ride is as important as the destination. The advantage of videoing from a bike is that it opens our view compared to trying to shoot from a car. If you were doing a story about a bike — well that would be a different story entirely.

What is your camera setup? The video was very smooth as was any panning. Image stabilization is a great thing but even it can't compensate for excessive/frequent/major head turning. So I like bike mounted rigs.

The frame rate was good.

I like the video because it didn't feel like being at someones house where they drag out the slide projector and gave us twenty shots of the same thing from a slightly different angle. It didn't feel like a "production" which I think is equally important. As I said earlier - casual. Relaxed even. You could have left out the part about the car passing you as you paused at the "roundabout" ("traffic calming device" out my way) and I would have been ok with that.

It's about the story you want to tell. I wouldn't want that do devolve into critiquing your riding style only doing 40 in a 40MPH zone etc. That gets in the way of the story.

I'm not a film critic so I wouldn't quite my day job if I had one. But hey — everybody's a critic. The video was a bit short but it's a test vid so I get that. I look forward to seeing how you progress.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I found your video eminently enjoyable. I liked the music and that the levels of it compared to your narration were very close. All too often videos have loud music compared to any narration not to mention some kind of grunge/death metal/trance that just isn't my thing.

I liked hearing the bike in the background. It was there but never intrusive. As a rider watching a bike-centric video this is a consideration for me. I especially like the lack of a frenetic exhaust note. I don't like it when riding and it's worse in videos unless it's the point of a video. Those are videos I don't watch much.

Did you use a script or outline for your narration? If it was extemporaneous then mad props. It was friendly/casual and well spoken. Very pleasant and conversational and didn't sound scripted. There were no uhs/ers/ums or other distracting vocal pauses or glitches. That in and of itself is a major feat. Using really polished narration is fine for a travelogue or Galapagos documentary. Being too folksy is also a little tedious to me. I felt you struck a decent balance but maybe a little less folksy would be better.

I can see where the ride to the house might be seen as long/longish but other than the initial two stretches at the opening it was ok to me. It gave us time to hear some narrative background and I didn't feel like there were long stretches of just "going down the road". Stops and turns kept my attention so that's my data point.

The transition from the establishing shot that puts you on a bike to the beginning of the video was abrupt - a cut scene. Nothing fancy need be done but it felt like a fade to black and back was called for.

Counterpoint to seeing the bike in the video I often see videos that include "bike stuff" taking up screen space at the expense of the road/scenery/etc. I ride a bike. I know they have gauges. I occasionally use them. I'm not hearing a car. The single front wheel is a reminder. For me there doesn't need to be much bike in the video. When I'm riding I'm not paying much attention to gauges except for a quick glance to keep aware of my speed. I liked seeing the bike itself so showing it from time to time is nice.

But the bike isn't really the story. The story is you riding to your destination and for me the ride is as important as the destination. The advantage of videoing from a bike is that it opens our view compared to trying to shoot from a car. If you were doing a story about a bike — well that would be a different story entirely.

What is your camera setup? The video was very smooth as was any panning. Image stabilization is a great thing but even it can't compensate for excessive/frequent/major head turning. So I like bike mounted rigs.

The frame rate was good.

I like the video because it didn't feel like being at someones house where they drag out the slide projector and gave us twenty shots of the same thing from a slightly different angle. It didn't feel like a "production" which I think is equally important. As I said earlier - casual. Relaxed even. You could have left out the part about the car passing you as you paused at the "roundabout" ("traffic calming device" out my way) and I would have been ok with that.

It's about the story you want to tell. I wouldn't want that do devolve into critiquing your riding style only doing 40 in a 40MPH zone etc. That gets in the way of the story.

I'm not a film critic so I wouldn't quite my day job if I had one. But hey — everybody's a critic. The video was a bit short but it's a test vid so I get that. I look forward to seeing how you progress.
Thank you very much for taking the time to watch and write a very useful information. Glad you enjoyed it. Please see my notes below.
I like casual videos, not sport, and it was important to me to have the sound of the engine low enough to hear it, as well as 'slow' moving pace of video.
I used a bullet point list and tried to speak naturally, might have had one or two sentences I planned scripted. I am concerned with an accent I have, but it seems this was not an issue.
I tried to avoid riding with pause during talking. At the start I had some pauses, people brought to my attention, and I revised the video to eliminate pauses better, which also eliminated some riding video time that turned to be a good decision. Added stops and turns to add some 'interest' to the ride, glad to see this kept your attention.
As a motorcycle rider, I aim at riders and actually plan to include in the next video a view that shows some of the gauges, depends how this will turn out, if I can maintain a sight of the surroundings.
My camera setup for this test video was a 360 camera where you can frame the view in post. Since then I purchased a GoPro to supplement and mount it to the helmet chin -I'll see how that turns out to be, though my concern as you point out is turning the head while riding. Depends how this turns out, I might consider adding a drone to the mix, if that favors the site I'm visiting.
Casual format is the main goal.
You mention the video was a bit short. The original intent is to keep it short overall, so not to lose interest. Still, I'll consider longer videos, depends on the subject matter.
I plan on doing more videos, and would love more of your feedback -I can let you know once I post more, if you'd like.
I appreciate the comment on the abrupt transition -not sure I understood though -did you mean the transition INTO the cut scene, to fade to black first? Or eliminate the cut scene all together and just do simple black transition with fade to black and back between the shots on the road? I was hoping the cut scene would 'act' as the identity for the channel.
Last, the video format is planned to aim at certain type and age of rider. May I ask for your age please? You can private message me if you prefer not to share here. This will help me know more if I'm in the right direction.
Thank you again for the detailed feedback.
Doron

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
did you mean the transition INTO the cut scene, to fade to black first? Or eliminate the cut scene all together and just do simple black transition with fade to black and back between the shots on the road?
I went back and watched the opening and it's fine as is. I'm not sure why it felt differently on my first viewing but I didn't get that this time.

I noticed the accent and couldn't place it but it was not an issue at all. The elocution was more than satisfactory.

When some buddies and I got some Sena units to keep in touch as necessary we found ourselves having constant conversations. So I appreciate the lack of "dead air". Pleasant music works well too. Noraly of Itchy Boots fame uses a lot of thematic music to good effect. I small nit - the music near the end seem a little loud and there might have been some distortion in the audio or that might just be me.

Speaking of Noraly I gotta say I love her use of the drone. I wish she used it more because she encounters some fascinating vistas. So I look forward to see how you use a drone – if you decide to incorporate it.

Again casual is King for me. In a car with a passenger you wouldn't talk the same as a presenter of some travelogue. While that style is informative it puts a distance between the presenter and the viewer. No disrespect to Sir David Attenborough intended it's still lecturer/attendee.

I mentioned the exhaust note earlier. Being a low-rpm twin makes it really pleasant to be in the background. I hear the shifts and the RPM change and it's just really pleasant. That should be a signature sound.

Now excuse me while I chase some kids off my lawn. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I went back and watched the opening and it's fine as is. I'm not sure why it felt differently on my first viewing but I didn't get that this time.

I noticed the accent and couldn't place it but it was not an issue at all. The elocution was more than satisfactory.

When some buddies and I got some Sena units to keep in touch as necessary we found ourselves having constant conversations. So I appreciate the lack of "dead air". Pleasant music works well too. Noraly of Itchy Boots fame uses a lot of thematic music to good effect. I small nit - the music near the end seem a little loud and there might have been some distortion in the audio or that might just be me.

Speaking of Noraly I gotta say I love her use of the drone. I wish she used it more because she encounters some fascinating vistas. So I look forward to see how you use a drone – if you decide to incorporate it.

Again casual is King for me. In a car with a passenger you wouldn't talk the same as a presenter of some travelogue. While that style is informative it puts a distance between the presenter and the viewer. No disrespect to Sir David Attenborough intended it's still lecturer/attendee.

Now excuse me while I chase some kids off my lawn. :D
Thanks -incorporating music into the videos is another thing I might consider. Got inspiration from Itchy Boots videos for sure.
Doron

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I'm glad my house ( and why would it be..?) was never used in a movie. Crazy number of people, I'm sure the neighbors and the current owner rue the day they made a few bucks renting the house to the producers.

I found the impression of speed at the beginning a bit disorienting, looks like you were speeding along, but it was probably the camera position and settings.

What software are you using to edit the video?

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I'm glad my house ( and why would it be..?) was never used in a movie. Crazy number of people, I'm sure the neighbors and the current owner rue the day they made a few bucks renting the house to the producers.

I found the impression of speed at the beginning a bit disorienting, looks like you were speeding along, but it was probably the camera position and settings.

What software are you using to edit the video?
I don’t think I was speeding. It is likely the wide angle that makes that impression. I use a software called Luma Fusion.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks -incorporating music into the videos is another thing I might consider. Got inspiration from Itchy Boots videos for sure.
Doron
If you are inclined, Noraly sells a beginner and advanced video course on her website; I've purchased the first one for I think about $80 and as a video-nerd, I find it worth the money. She certainly has grown her skills and her following, with her ever-improving vlogs.
As you know, her production quality is top-shelf, but it does take a good bit of effort and of time, to make videos that good. Not to mention the money for quality camera equipment.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
If you are inclined, Noraly sells a beginner and advanced video course on her website; I've purchased the first one for I think about $80 and as a video-nerd, I find it worth the money. She certainly has grown her skills and her following, with her ever-improving vlogs.
As you know, her production quality is top-shelf, but it does take a good bit of effort and of time, to make videos that good. Not to mention the money for quality camera equipment.
Thanks. Saw the courses she offers and might consider in the future.

Top Bottom