looking for good dual cam dash cam

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Still looking for a good quality dual camera setup for the bike, with GPS enabled. I have tried the 40$ cheap chinese cams but they barely last a season. There must be something out there that is tested and works. Looking for recommendations of brands that people have tried and are happy with.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Halocam M1

Make sure you get the fastest memory card possible. Size isn't super important, since the camera will "loop" and write over the oldest files when the memory card fills up.

I think you'll find the specs...and actual results...come out as good as the INNOVV K2 camera...at a lot less cost.

Chris

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Here's a screen capture to give you an idea of the video quality.

Halocam M1.jpg

The front camera is mounted under the cowl opening.

Chris

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Halocam M1

Make sure you get the fastest memory card possible. Size isn't super important, since the camera will "loop" and write over the oldest files when the memory card fills up.

I think you'll find the specs...and actual results...come out as good as the INNOVV K2 camera...at a lot less cost.

Chris
Thanks Chris. Will definitely check that one out.

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They both look decent. I like the Innov2 but quite a bit more money

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
One of the questions you'll need to figure out for yourself, is what do you want this "dash camera" for. Vinny brings up a good point. The dash camera he recommends has a waterproof DVR. You can put that on your handlebar, or wherever and it'll be safe.

I didn't worry about that. Mine is stored under the seat. While it isn't waterproof enough to take scuba diving, it is enclosed in a rubber sleeve that keeps it safe and keeps the case from being damaged. I ride in Seattle, so this dash cam gets exposed to rain a lot.

Dash cameras have improved in resolution to the point they are about like what action cameras used to be like. In other words, pretty good. Since I bought mine for recording when someone hits me while texting, I really use mine as a dash camera. It's "install and forget"...and hope you never need the recorded videos for an accident.

Wi-Fi is great, but has limited usefulness. You're not going to be looking at your smart phone (or the screen for that matter) while riding. It's good though for the initial aiming of your cameras.

I think you'll find several cameras that are all good. All these so far have 1080 resolution. All have waterproof cameras. Ratings on Amazon look about the same. I know the customer service with Halocam is great. I had an issue with the first camera when they were just getting started. I was sent a new camera immediately.

The biggest issue you may have is with the memory card you buy. The SanDisk Ultra cards are good. DO NOT BUY the Samsung EVO cards. They can't handle the data throughput.

Good luck!

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wi-Fi is great, but has limited usefulness. You're not going to be looking at your smart phone (or the screen for that matter) while riding. It's good though for the initial aiming of your cameras.
WiFi can allow viewing of data on the phone without removing the card (and the seat) when it's safe to do so. The footage/data can be transferred to the phone again without removing the card. It's good enough it does what its designed to do.

But if you have a lot of data on the card and/or need to do a lot of post processing then yeah removing the card and viewing it on a computer would be the way to go.

My preference is a minimum of 1080/60. 4K/60 would make me happy and 4K/120 would make me positively giddy but neither is probably going to happen with a dedicated bike cam. I don't know GoPro specs but as capable as they may be they're also very obvious and warrant removal when the bike is unattended.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Agreed. I find it simple enough to pull the card and put it in my laptop, that I skip the Wi-Fi. The way mine is wired, the aux lights come on as well. For the time to pull a bunch of files off, I could end up with a dead battery.

Going for the higher resolutions would be great, but I don't know of a "dash" cam that meets those specs. Action cameras are getting there, but you're looking at a power issue and like you wrote, you need to remove the camera each time you stop. For that kind of resolution, I use my Sena 10C Pro.

Chris

Top Bottom